Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble vanity (thought it was granite)

Posted by KathyNY76 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 9:19

So...I got a remnant for my 36" bathroom vanity. There were two greenish remnants I was looking at. They both looked pretty similar but one was a lighter green. The lady helping said they were both Verde Borgona granite.

Well, she just called and the one I picked (the lighter) is actually Rainforst Green marble (I actually thought it was that but she said it wasn't!). I love it and have designed everything around it and the tile is in, so I'm not changing it at this point! But just wondering how to care for this stone. Do I just need to be extra careful about wiping toothpaste/hair product/whatever off it? Or b/c it's a green one I don't have to worry about staining/etching as much?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble vanity (thought it was granite)

here is a current thread on this that might help

Here is a link that might be useful: marble etching

o

I've heard knowledgeable stone people say that Rainforest is in a class by itself -- not truly a marble, or even a 'green marble' --

I'd search specifically for Rainforest Green vrs. general marble stuff.

And of course, test your own remnants if you can...

o

sweeby - I did see something on granitegurus.com saying it's a Serpentine I think. And they said it's really durable as far as 'marble' goes, so I guess I hope for the best. It's already cut and done - install is tomorrow so I have nothing to test.

olychick - thanks for the link. Hoping it's not as sensitive as the crema marfil that got etched by soap!

o

Can you ask for the scraps? If they're already gone, you could buy a few tiles in Rainforest, though they wouldn't have the advantage of being from your same slab...

Of course, a great sealer is a good idea in any case.

And yes, Crema Marfil is SENSITIVE! We have it in our downstairs bath, and will need to have it refinished before we sell. Just WATER drops and the occasional damp wine glass have left permanent etches... I'd never use that stone on a countertop again.

o

Well, even if I have to baby it, it's worth it. It just got installed and I keep going back up to look at it! :)

Photobucket

o

beautiful!

o

that's very pretty Can we see a picture of the whole room?

I'm betting that darker marble is much more forgiving than light marble (like crema marfil).

o

Kathy, that's a beautiful piece of stone! I agree with Andrea and would love to see pictures of your room.

o

Gorgeous!

o

fabulous ~ ! Would you post a pic of the complete vanity?

o

Thanks, all! I would post pictures, but it's not done yet. Hopefully this week can bring all the final pieces together and I can post the before and after soon!

o

Wow, Kathy, that is really pretty!! Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Nancy

o

Your combination of oiled bronze and the rainforest is gorgeous!! It looks fab with the white sink too!

o

so pretty! i love the oil rubbed bronze with the marble. hope you will post more pics soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here