Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tub size for master bath?

Posted by minneapolisite (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 8:56

Do you prefer large soaker baths, or a more standard sized bath? Trying to decide how to lay out the master bathroom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tub size for master bath?

If you like to take a bath, the larger tubs are preferable. If you prefer showers, then a regular size tub would probably be ok. If you're building a larger home with a large master bath in an area that typically has the large soaker tubs and a separate shower, then for resale purposes, I would duplicate that setup.

Hope this helps!

o

I prefer a large soaker tub, as does my 6'3" significant other. He simply cannot fit in a standard 5' tub. However, if I had to choose between a soaker tub and a comfortable sized shower, I'd go with a shower and probably nix the tub entirely. One other consideration is whether your water heater can handle a large tub. We have an older water heater and our newish soaker tub drains it.

o

We love our Toto 5' tubs (cast iron, model 1525) though it definitely would be nice to have longer tubs. We were limited by room size(s) so stuck with the standard length. Most of the time we use the tubs solely for showering, but occasionally enjoy a nice soak, so we like having the flexibility a tub affords us. If we could have fit longer tubs, we probably would have gotten them, but it certainly isn't/wasn't a deal breaker in our case.

o

When we did my parent's bathroom up, we knew that a normal sized tub would not get used and would probably just be there to have one available. (I tried to get them to go with a walk-in tub, but they didn't want to spend that much.) Ended up going with a soaker model (Kohler Mariposa) and went with the 5'5" model.

Their shower is still plenty big for their needs - the bottom pan where you stand is 3' x 4' and then there is a large bench for sitting, shaving, and setting down bath products (I think it is around 15" deep.) Budget was a real concern, so no need for anything larger.

Since the bath will mainly be used for times they want to soak or relax, it just made more sense to choose this shape and go with one a few inches longer for comfort.

All other tubs in the house are the standard 5' size and shower/tub combo units.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here