Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help me decide what to do with master vanity!

2ajsmama
12 years ago

Just pulled the 60" (actually 59.5") vanity the modular home factory installed, we never got around to finishing the bathroom. I have been cursing them for years for not lining up the light receptacles with the sink openings, now that I can really get back there and measure I find that the plumbing is pretty much to code. The first waste line is 16.5" center to wall, could be moved to 15", 2nd sink waste is 44.5" from wall so *almost* the 30" required b/t sinks. First light is 14.5" from wall (would have been nice to have it 15" as well), 2nd light is 44.5" (exactly over 2nd waste).

Now, I'd have to nudge electrical and plumbing an inch here and there to get them to line up and put pedestal sinks in, and I've already got (huge!) drop in sinks I like, also like drawers in a bathroom (for hairdryer, toothpaste, extra toothbrushes, etc.). BUT... this vanity is just all wrong - it has drawers in the middle (18") and sink openings (20.75") at either end, which is why the openings didn't line up with the electrical. I didn't realize when I chose it from their list that 1) it wouldn't meet code (15") without a filler and 2) that they weren't going to place the lights over the sink openings if they didn't install the countertop & sinks. They were a little off with the lights in the main bath, but we fudged it with a light bar with a big back plate.

I had planned on putting a 4" filler on the right hand side b/t the vanity and the wall to bring the center of the sink to 14.5" from corner, exactly under the light. No problem. Add another 4" filler and end panel (maple 1x6's ripped down for fillers, birch plywood stained for end panel to match maple vanity would be less $ and look better than the laminate side). That would bring my countertop to 67.5 plus any overlap on the side, so 68-69", and actually be nice so the GFCI on the end of the bank near the door would be over that end of the counter (also have one on right-hand wall at other end of counter).

But I'd have to move the left-hand light 8.5" to the left, and the cold water supply for that sink too (otherwise it will be behind the drawers), maybe the waste - going to be within an inch of the drawers and the center of the sink will be 10" to the left! I don't know how much trouble it will be to move that waste line 10" or so - electrical is easy, it's just patching the drywall so it doesn't show that's hard for me.

Is it worth this trouble to use a mid-line (Merillat Classic) builder-grade vanity, or can someone come up with a better solution?

I've got 73" from the corner to the door frame, would prefer to keep overall length of the countertop to 70" or less (and clip the corner) but need double sinks, and I'd really like to use the Kohler Leighton (24" wide!) sinks I have.

Any ideas?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio