Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrinm

Jason tub

Terri
11 years ago

Does anyone have one? I've searched and can't find any current information. I'm definitely getting the Microsilk but not sure if I'll do air or whirlpool. From what the salesman said both take pretty much the same maintenance. Their whirlpool tubing is run a little different than in years past so the water doesn't sit in it and form all the gunk.

Would love any real life reviews. Thanks!

Comments (46)

• lascatx
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just saw one last weekend and was trying to find out more about them myself. The salesperson I was talking to told me about someone in their company who has been using one. It sounds like that person may be one of the testimonials on their website.

The lack of information reviews and discussion is frustrating. The tub I saw was a combo tub and I thought the salesperson said you could get all three air types in one tub, but I couldn't find that in any of their info. If I could, I might just do that and be willing to pay more not to decide.

Have you tested the microsilk? The location I went to did not have a tub set up for that, but I think another store location does and that would require a couple of hours of driving to go see it.

• Terri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They had a tub with the Microsilk and air set up. You could reserve the room and come "test" it out. Preferably with a swim suit he said!! But I didn't have the time or suit to do that as I was in Phoenix visiting my daughter. He did fill the tub and turn it on. Air was loud. But not as loud as my current whirlpool. He seemed to be a real fan of the Microsilk.

At this point I'm with you on all three in order to just get it over with! He seemed impressed with the Microsilk. Told me he was skeptical until he went to Arkansas and saw the factory in person. Now he is sold. But.... He also sells them lol.

He recommended whirlpool over air. He said you need to clean with a little bleach every couple weeks or so on both. Told me the air wasn't as maintenance free as I've read.

Good luck! Hopefully someone will chime in that owns one.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The place I looked at said air was better than whirlpool (I suspect there are as many opinions as there are choices) and they seemed to think air was pretty care free. I have whirlpool now, and running some chlorinated water through it now and then is not that big a deal, but if I didn't have to, all the better.

I'm trying to remember now if they were talking about the Jason tub when they were talking about the timer -- maybe it's a standard thing with air tubs, but you set the timer to run the blower a certain time after you finished running the air ( gives you time to soak or finish bathing if you want and to drain the tub) then it blows for a set length of time, draining water and sounds like drying out the line. I have seen the double V design in the whirlpool lines that is supposed to not leave stagnant water in the lines. Anything will be an improvement over this old tub. :)

After I looked at the various tubs (they also have Bain Ultra, Victoria & Albert, and Hydro Systems on the floor) I was thinking about them and trying to decide if Microsilk was something worth considering. I think the test they do is just putting your arm in the water, not whole body and they said you could really feel a difference in your skin (supposed to feel soft and silky like the treated cover on the brochure they gave me). They have someone in the company with a skin condition who found it really helped, but that's not an issue in our family. What did peak my interest was thinking about an oxygen peel that I have used. It creates a very fine foaming action and is supposed to be very deep cleansing (like the tiny micro bubbles in the tub) and I love the way my skin feels so clean and clear and smooth after the peel. That did appeal to me. We would have to give up the idea of a freestanding tub though,.

Agree-- would be nice if someone who has a Jason would post too.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Well, we have a Jason tub, but I am can't be helpful because ours is just a soaking tub.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

That's a start! :-D

• sofla
    11 years ago

I recently had the Jason Air masseur tub installed. Still waiting on the electrical hookup. No problems with the install. I will post more when I get to use it.

• Terri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone! I think I'm going with the Microsilk Air masseur.

Of course this could change in the next 2 minutes....... :)

• lascatx
    11 years ago

That's the direction I am leaning, but we are early in the process. Will be glad to hear any updates.

• divotdiva2
    11 years ago

We aren't ready for the renovation yet but I've been looking at tubs. I thought about the Bain Ultra and when I stopped by local distributor he provided me with the Jason brochure and suggested for the price it might be better.

according to brochure, the Jason "Designer" baths combine the benefits of Whirlpool, AirMasseur, and Soaking hydrotherapy into a "single vessel". Seems to depend on size you order whether they are combined or not. These features can be used separately or together.

Here is a link to their web site, if you look at individual tubs it will state whether the Microsilk can be combined with whirlpool or airmasseur. Look at the details/price sheet for the model you are interested in

Here is a link that might be useful: Jason International

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Thanks.. I have studied the website and the info I got from the dealer here. What I am understanding is that you can combine two air features -- Microsilk, Airmassuer or Whirlpool, depending on the tub, but none of them offer all three in one tub. You have to eliminate one of them unless there is something I have missed.

• sofla
    11 years ago

What also needs to be considered is the pump and blower placements. I have the forma rectangle with the drain in center. I had to go with the air masseur because the blower is on the right and that is where my access is. The microsilk blower goes on the left side. If you don't have the drain in the middle but to one side the pump and blower will be opposite the drain. That may help in your decision. Go to the jason website and look at the specs on the pump placements for your particular model.

• Terri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well have it narrowed down to two models. Now the hard part seems to be getting a serious price. We don't have a distributor here, closet one is 180 miles. But I feel I'm being blown off. I'm willing to pay almost 8K for a bath tub and can't get shipping costs. Grrrrrrrr

I'm going with Microsilk Air Masseur and either EM553 or KT553. Not sure if I want, or would use, th elite arm rests or grab handles.

Going to work on toilets today. Woohoo!!

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Try tubzlady.com. We used them and got great pricing and great communication.

• Terri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dekeoboe I forgot about reading about that site. Thank you for reminding me! I will check it out today.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I looked there -- and everywhere else I could find that sold their tubs and didn't find any of them showing the MicroSilk option. This is frustrating.

But I did find this posted by hags00 on another thread

"By far my favorite tub that I have ever had is my Jason International Air Masseur. It has 80 or so holes around the bottom and is like a bath in champagne bubbles. I had the 5 1/2 foot version and I am 5'4" and fit with room to spare. I prefer that to jets in a regular size bath tub, the jets are too close to the body for me."

At least we know someone had the air jets and liked them! I went to some of the technical sheets for a couple of the Jason tubs and found their care instructions. They do sound pretty much the same for the air jets and the whirlpool.

• lee676
    11 years ago

I prefer [champagne bubbles] to jets in a regular size bath tub, the jets are too close to the body for me

Agree - the only jets I'd like in a smaller tub are the type used in the Maax Pearl tubs - 2 or 3 jets pointed away from your body, so you feel only the water spinning around. Lots of water moving slowly feels much better than a small amount of water forced out at high pressure, poking and prodding you in several places. But the tiny champagne bubbles feel great too in their own way (Kohler offers this in a few tubs as well).

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Sofla, any power to that tub yet? ;-)

I'm trying to find a place to see the demo tub.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Teri, if you are still checking back here, I went and saw two MicroSIlk demos today. One was just a basin size but the other was a full size tub and both had the air jets. One of the ladies described the air jets as being like a pot of boiling water -- you can have it simmering or at a rolling bubble. That seems pretty accurate, but I wanted to tell you that DH is even more hooked on the MicroSilk than I am now. There is a noticeable difference in how your skin feels after being in it. On just my hand, I can't say I saw a huge difference (seemed to be a bit more on DH's hand), but there was a noticeable softness and still is this evening. After the jets were off and the water settled down, I noticed a slight dirt ring around the two of the water -- and that was just our two hands. I promise -- we both showered before we left and thought we were very clean! I even used their restroom and had just washed my hands.

You feel a slight movement in the water and we got a few surface bubbles in the basin, but mostly the water gets very cloudy -- milky looking, and you couldn't see your hand much below the surface. It isn't really effervescent or tickling.

I wasn't that impressed with the Chromotherapy light. It seemed to be too small a beam of light and there was only one in this demo tub. The change between colors wasn't as smooth as some I have seen, so I think we will skip that and just go with the standard version. If we want colored lights, we can get something for the whole bathroom that will work more effectively for a lot less money.

I think we have decided on the MicroSilk/Air combo now and can start looking at other decisions.

• Terri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool lascatx! So glad to hear you like the Microsilk. I found someone who is a distributer 45 miles away, but doesn't have a Jason in stock, they sell mostly MTI. But I did decide on the Jason KT553 Microsilk/Air, just waiting on a firm quote and an invoice to pay :) Do you know which model you are going with?

Like you I'm now on to something else, faucets and sinks. Then the tile...
    Why can't a bathroom be just a toilet and tub lol!

Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait until this summer when we are done and I can soak in this tub!!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

We are thinking it will be the RE553 or RE630. We need to do a little measuring and double checking, but the clean rectangle undermounted looks like as close to the freestanding tub we'd thought about as we're going to get.

There sure were a lot of gorgeous tubs, but we drove about 45 min to see the demo figuring that is we liked the MicroSilk, we could rule out so many. It was either that or a freestanding soaking tub, and we both really wanted air of some kind. We could do Jason with just air in a freestanding, but we want to try the MicroSilk, We're both looking forward to giving the tub a true soaking test.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Bumping this up for Karen to see the MicroSIlk discussion.

I went and saw a demo tub yesterday and a full day later the hand that spent more time in the MicroSilk waster is still softer. The lady at one of the stores said they suggest using MicroSilk about twice a week and your other bathing or therapies the rest of the time.

There is a VP at one of the companies we visited who has a skin condition and has personally seen improvement in her skin with MicroSilk. Both stores told me they were getting positive feedback on the tubs they'd sold -- from improvements in eczema and psoriasis to disappearance or improvement in dry, flaky patches. I'm just interested in generally healthier feeling skin -- softer, smoother, cleaner -- no real conditions to treat. Like I said, my left hand is still smoother a day later. It's not radical, but I don't have any significant skin issues. I think calling it a fountain of youth is a bit much, but I still want it and think we'll really enjoy it.

ETA: DH was working in the yard when I wrote this, but after he came inside, I asked if he still noticed a difference in his hands. He came over and you can see and feel the difference more on his hands. His words -- his skin is older, drier and he hasn't taken as good care of it. He loves the Microsilk and we can't wait to get it.

I'm still hoping Sofla has the new tub connected and will report back with a whole body experience. ;-)

This post was edited by lascatx on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 18:22

• selenanoel1
    10 years ago

We are considering Microsilk tub in new master bath and wondering about people's experiences with skin, installation, upkeep..
    . divot diva & lascatx, have either of you installed your microsilk tub yet? We tried the demo mini-tub and seem to see less wrinkles in immersed hand vs. non-immersed even after a couple of days but it looks too good to be true so we're doing more consumer research.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

My bath reno got delayed -- I have really been wanting that tub, even any tub, lately, so I hope to get it started again. I think I posted somewhere how I have had an oygen facial treatment that releases tiny bubbles and creates a fine foam on the skin. I love the way it makes my skin so soft and smooth and it is supposed to give a very deep cleansing. I think the microsilk is developed from the same or similar principles so while I think the "fountain of youth" marketing comes across as over the top hype and I don't expect to look 16-20 again, I do believe in the science and that there will be benefits to the oxygenated water. Similar to certain springs where people go to bathe, right?

• selenanoel1
    10 years ago

We appreciate your response very much! We
    are intrigued & we are planning to drive 3+ hrs. to Delaware for a full-body tub test. We'll keep you posted...

This post was edited by selenanoel1 on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 10:48

• adh673
    10 years ago

Where in Delaware? I'd like to see one in person too.

• selenanoel1
    10 years ago

I e-mailed & called Jason International & they replied:
    "call David Kursh, Bell Supply Company 718 Stanton Christiana Road, Newark, DE 19713, Phone 302-998-0800 to arrange to visit his showroom and experience MicroSilk. Jason representative Tom Singleton with Gray Sales will also assist in accommodating your request. Tom’s phone number is 215-292-2280."
    Also google Jason International website for showrooms in your area. Showrooms w/ Tubs for testing are indicated in page.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Hi Selena mine is sitting in my living room, a couple of weeks away before it gets moved to the bathroom. Painters coming Tues. I bought the Air Masseur/Microsilk combo. I'm with Lascatx I don't go for hype but there seems to be some science behind the microsilk. Terri0826 mentioned it was being used in a burn facility and they were planning to buy more.

This post was edited by divotdiva on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 1:15

• selenanoel1
    10 years ago

Eagerly awaiting news of your install. We got a quote for appx.$7K for 36" x 72" MIcrosilk &AirMasseur Em630 w/Wand sales tax not included & we're wondering if that's in the reasonable ballpark. Thanks for quick feedback.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Ours is the EC527 with air and MS, don't forget you also need a drain kit. We're not tall people so this is long enough for us. Ours was priced just under 6K including tax but $ 500 was freight, plus a drain kit. The tub by itself was priced at least $ 1500 under suggested retail on the Jason web page. Yours is a bigger tub and depending on whether you are going Premier or Signature, it's in that ballpark. Suggested retail for the Premier EC630 is $ 6785 and the wand is $ 325. The next model up is $ 7845. Maybe another vendor can provide you with a better discount off the retail price.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Divotdiva, I was wondering how your bathroom was progressing. I am soon going to be having tub envy! Did you get the wand? I am pulling out from what was probably the hardest 6 months of my life (at least, I hope I am and that it is over -- knocking on wood). I have REALLY wanted that tub lately. As soon as I can get back to it.......:)

• Green999
    9 years ago

Divotdiva and lascatx, or anyone has a Jason Microsilk tube,
    I have been following your posts, and would love to hear your experience after the installation. I'm the in process of making decision soon. Thanks.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

You are talking about the hand wand/spray, right? I wasn't inclined to get one, but I'm not sure what we will do. My mom passed and now my dad is having some problems, so my bathroom is still on hold. I was just looking form some diversion and wondered if divotdiva had posted any updates.

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

Hi Green999 and Lascatx, I am this close to actually using the tub. It is installed and granite/tile in, final paint touch up in room is this week. I promise to give it a try by this weekend and will let you know. There are also some posts on my Jason vs. whirlpool etc thread where Irishman has actually used his MS feature, and has had it a little while, you may be interested to see his comments as he will have more experience with the benefits by this time than I will.

I did not buy the wand but after using MS a while I'll see if I want it. We installed a hand sprayer that matches the faucet so it can be changed out.

We did run installation tests and the Microsilk pump is a little loud, and there is a sensor about half way up the side of the tub that allows the pump to be turned on. It needs at least 1/2 a tub of water before you can run it. I spent the past couple of days on my hands and knees painting baseboards so I'm ready to use it!

Here is a link that might be useful: more discussion on Jason

• Green999
    9 years ago

Good to hear from you divotdiva. You bath project has last for long time...so glad to know that you'll able to enjoy it soon. Look forward to hear your real experience.

I did see Irshman's post, which is a positive one. I'm hoping yours too. Do you think the MS pump is louder then whilrpool? If I were you after couple days of painting job on the floor, I would jump in that tub yesterday.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I did see that other post -- good to know they are getting positive experiences. I also saw some line of cosmetics advertised -- said they are by someone who works with Hollywood stars, and a key product is an oxygenating foam. Think they are installing these tubs too? ;-)

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

that does it! I'm going in tonight. And yes Green999, my project has been almost 6 months in actual construction, and months before that in planning. It is not just a master bath but an extension on the house. Just wrapping up the loose ends and finishing up flooring. Now to actually live in the extension and decorate (bedroom)! I thought the shower was done but I have some stuff to do in there, will explain later. Grout not sealed yet.
    Hubby is hinting to do the other bathroom now, but I'm exhausted and need a break.
    Pics soon.

• tsaintb
    9 years ago

HA - I was getting on Gardenweb to vent over my microsilk tub when I saw your post. I ordered a 72" Jason microsilk tub and was so excited about it. I REGRET the day I did!!!!! First, Jason sent a 66". My contractor framed to that tub - only to find out it wasn't the one I ordered. They offered me a deal to keep what I had but, my husband is 6'4" and wanted the 72". So - after a month or more of arguing with Jason, they agreed to pay to reframe. NO discount was given for my inconvenience. Next, I didn't have all the pieces/parts necessary - I guess that was the supply co. prob - they had actualy never ordered one. After waiting a month or more for that, my contractor/plumber could never get it to work. SO, I am moved in - no tub!!!! We FINALLY got Jason involved. They tested the pumps and all at their plant, shipped parts, and waiting for their local tech to install it. ...and waiting and waiting and waiting. Parts got here 6 days ago. Prob is I'm waiting for THE tech in the area and he's busy. He will call "when he can". This is an $$$$$ tub - and Jason has offered me no monetary rebate at all. nothing. So if I had to do over again, WOULD NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT order it. And IF/WHEN this one and only tech gets the tub working, I PRAY it doesn't break - or that would be a month or more I'm sure. VERY DISGUSTED!!!!

you read reviews and throw away THAT ONE where everything that could go wrong does, well that is lucky me. But is that the chance you want to take? And it's so new - if yours breaks could you get service? I doubt it!!

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

TeeBee, so sorry to hear of your issues with your Jason tubb. Was it ordered direct from Jason or a distributor? I would agree your husband would be happier with the 72". It sounds like the supplier/distributor made the error but you're definitely not getting tech support. I don't even know if there is tech support in our area. There are only a couple of vendors who sell it. May be something for others to ask about before purchasing, so good point.

Jason has been around a few decades, but the microsilk is a new product for them. I really am hoping yours gets fixed and you can actually enjoy it.

Our plumbers were perplexed because it is not a plug and play tub. There are a lot of components with the motors and they had not installed one before, either.

Update on actual use for the others inquiring (lascatx, green999, Selena, etc), I used the air on Tues night and could not get the MS to turn on. Now it was tested before the tub deck was laid on the framing so I know it was functioning earlier. You have to the water in the tub at a certain level and not run it with the air. Last night I tried again, after I reset all the breakers just in case. I turned on the MS first instead of the air to see if it was refusing to work the first night because I ran air first. No go. The light came on and a couple of bubbles came out of the port, then nada. So I removed the access panel to see what was going on. Unplugged and replugged and everything looked correct (to me, a non-plumber/electrician). What I suspect is that the plumbers in their final installation screwed the "brain" to the floor and it is not aligned correctly with the MS pump - it has an infrared sensor to talk to the pumps. I moved some wires around and apparently cleared the way for the sensors to talk to one another, because I could then turn on the MS. The air function was re-tested and I could turn it up and down.

Tonight I will try this again and see if that was indeed the issue.

Regarding therapy, the air masseur is relaxing although you may want to consider remote location for the pump, which can be a few feet away. I do think the MS pump somewhat louder than the air, but the bubble action of the air jets drowns it out a little. The microsilk, you just hear the pump. It doesn't really matter to me because it is going to be loud anyways, and when the tub runs its auto-purge cycle it is loud when the air is pushed through the holes. I can hear it down the hall.

Having only used the MS this once, I will have to update you all - but it does appear my skin is softer and I did notice flotsam in the surface of the water before I drained it - looks like little soap flakes or skin flakes. I took a shower before the bath so I was already clean. I have not noticed this with other baths, including the air bath. So there is definitely some sort of deep cleaning action. I suspect removal of soap scum off your skin provides a softening effect right off the bat. You do also feel a fine foam of bubbles along your body while you're in the tub. I still have my wrinkles though ! :-)

• Green999
    9 years ago

TeeBee, I hope your installation of the tub is the worst part of Jason experience for you. Did you purchase with an authorized dealership? Were they helpful on checking the tub before arrival at your house? Can't wait to hear from you to share that the hydrotherapy soaking experience is well worth the wait and all that headaches.

divotdiva, thank you for your report on your first experience. You have got me worry on the pump installation now. If I decided forward with it, I'll get more info to feed to my contractor. Who has that much experience with this new product installation?? Also I do hope I can tolerate the pump noise. I'm imagining it as a relaxing zen experience--a high expectation?

I think the wrinkles will improve over period of time--another expectation of my...

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

Green999, I think the contractors have to take the time and read the directions and look at all the components. There are other brands with more than one pump/function. While I say microsilk is a new product for Jason, it was released a year or two ago. Most plumbers seem accustomed to the whirlpools of old that only had one pump and not a lot of extra connections.

The bubbling action is loud enough you don't necessarily notice the pump motor, but I wouldn't call it a zen experience. The action is relaxing but don't picture yourself listening to the breeze in the pines/bamboo or whatever.

Didn't have time to run a bath tonight. this weekend will test again.

• tsaintb
    9 years ago

UPdate: Yes I did buy from an authorized dealer. Jason themselves notified the dealer of their error on the order. They did eventually pay to rectify the incorrect framing/tiling.

Jason's rep was VERY (!!) helpful in helping resolve my tub not working properly. (seems wrong someone that high up should have to get involved but...) There is only 1 plumbing contractor they work with in my city and I had to wait for them. It would have been resolved quicker except my contractor kept putting them off -saying "no rush". They finally called me and came within 2 hours of speaking to me.

The control panel needed to be replaced AND the control cable. The apron was off during the fix and I asked if the MS pump should be that noisy. Yes. So before the apron goes on I'm going to line it with some type of sound proofing.

I would say I've been using my tub - HOWEVER, when I drained the tub, the water ended up in my front yard!!!!! So I've been working overtime to try to get the water & sewerage ppl to resolve that issue. They are supposedly fixing it today - after many, many, many calls.

What a nightmare!!!!

• tsaintb
    9 years ago

Oh...and might I add, after my Jason tub was fixed - I went to seal the tile around my other tub, a Hydrosystem tub (I needed a 72" alcove with tile flange - that's how I ended up with that tub), and the fiberglass is bubbled. So...I'm waiting for that fix as well... It just seems to never end.

• adh673
    9 years ago

Does anyone know if you can install the microsilk motor away from the tub? The encore with whirlpool and microsilk is odd in that the motor sticks out in the diagram- I cannot imagine what people are doing with it. I don't have more than 36 inches to build a frame around it but I am next to a crawl space I could put it in if it could be remotely located.

• koblon
    8 years ago

Any new reviews on the microsilk? Would love to hear. My son has eczema and seriously considering this expensive tub in new remodel!

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

Koblon there is another thread I started which I can't link to at this moment - regarding Jason vs. another brand. There is a gentleman on there that used the microsilk for skin issues. If you search for it you should find the thread.