Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Matching tile

Posted by kew2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 8:42

Hi! We're redoing our master bath. I picked a Calacatta 1x2 herringbone for the floor and a white subway for walls from the same tile store. When the tile arrived I noticed how much brighter the white subway is than the floor. I'm worried it's going to make my floors look dirty. The tile guy insists I should use this bright white subway and has nothing else to offer. I found a subway in stock at Lowes called Starting Line White by American Olean. It looks much better against my floor tile. But that tile is labeled non-vitreous. I've read I shouldn't use that in a shower. I'm worried about the quality of the tile at Lowes. What should I do? My contractor is worried about blowing our schedule. Help?

This post was edited by kew2006 on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 8:51

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Matching tile

I wouldn't use anything labeled non-vitreous in a shower. The less water absorbent, the better.

I assume this is the tile
tile

If so, you may be OK as it's glazed. As long as water never makes it past the surface, you may be OK.

The tiles sold at Home Depot and Lowes aren't much different that what's sold at specialty tile shops. The tiles they stock at the stores are cheap mainly because of the quantities they sell. Shipping costs are a big part of tile costs and when you ship by the truckload, you can save a lot of money per box.

This post was edited by kidhorn on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 14:49

o

I would think these tile would be fine with any wall installation. As far as in the shower I don't know. Wall installation doesn't take the same hard use that floor takes. Floors need to have tile and finish rated for floors. Again as for shower use I have no idea.

o

Thank you for your responses. Sorry about posting twice. I couldn't edit the subject and I thought I should. I'm leaning toward going with the bright white. I'm going to try to call American Olean tomorrow and ask what their recommendation is.

o

Daltile Rittenhouse Square is a quality subway tile, and it comes in White, and Artic White. Sounds like you want the White which is softer in color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here