Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulipscarolan_gw

Master Bathroom Mostly Done...Photos

tulipscarolan
15 years ago

Hi there,

First of all, huge thanks to everyone on this forum. It was so helpful to me--everything from professional advice on some of the nuts & bolts through to inspirational photos, etc.

We are almost done! Just awaiting shower doors, a light fixture, and a few other details...

Our house was built in the 20's, so I was going for a sort of old-fashioned look, although I threw in some Moroccan design elements (niche design and a few other things that may or may not be in the photos). Hopefully it all pulls together!

I just realized I haven't taken any pictures of the floor or sink. The floor is marble hex with light grey grout. There are just a few dark marble flowers randomly scattered on the floor, mostly in the corners. The shower floor is the sort of the inverse. I'm not so crazy about the super dark grout on the shower floor, but oh well. The sink is one of the old-fashioned looking porcelain console sinks. Although there is no storage, there is plenty of counter space for us, and with the recessed medicine cabinet above, and plenty of other storage in the room (check out the tiled storage cabinet door!), it is more than enough.

Thanks again!

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/TulipsCarolan/DSCF0001.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/TulipsCarolan/DSCF0009.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/TulipsCarolan/DSCF0010.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/TulipsCarolan/DSCF0011.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/TulipsCarolan/DSCF0013.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt162/TulipsCarolan/DSCF0012.jpg

Comments (42)

• tulipscarolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oops! I'll try posting photos again:

• norasnews
    15 years ago

So beautiful.. I just came on to look at some bathroom inspiration photos and just love this!! Great job!

• nutherokie_gw
    15 years ago

Holy cow! That's gorgeous! And such clever, unique features. That tiled cabinet is wonderful. You did an amazing job. Does your shower have any curtain or door?

• charlikin
    15 years ago

That is one of the most romantic and relaxing tubs I've ever seen. I can just see it - lots of little candles burning, bubbles, a glass of wine... (I hope you have the lights on dimmers - gotta set that atmosphere!)

Really, beautiful job. I love the tiled-in closet. The sink area looks fantastic - practical *and* beautiful. Love the aqua pencil liner going through the whole thing, and where you have half-height vs. full height tile. Obviously a lot of thought and planning went into this, and the result was worth it.

Enjoy your new bathroom! Take a soak in that tub for me! ;-)

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

Really phenomenal! DH was over my shoulder and just kept saying, "Wow, wow- look at that- is that a tiled door? wow! How'd they do that, and that? wow!"

Very striking- we loved the unique use of the pencil trim!

Congrats!

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Can you see my mouth hanging open? Of course you can't...I have both hands over it! (LOL) I love, LOVE, L O V E your tub area, the paint color (which is???), the marble,the tiled door...how does it open? What is that beautiful fabric I see on the right bottom corner of one of the pictures? Was this a DIY? Whoever did it...it's EXCELLENT! Congratulations and enjoy it for years to come!
    Monica

• tulipscarolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Me again.

Wow, thanks for the really kind comments! It inspired me to post a few more photos.

Shower doors are now up, that fabric that you saw in that corner photo was the un-hung curtain (now up), and there is now finally a knob on the tiled closet to open it.

I did do the design work myself, but not the construction. The paint is Benjamin Moore Homestead Green, although I think it looks a little more blue than green. I did a lot of bargain hunting for everything.

Again, thanks to all of you--your photos helped me a lot and reading everyone's posts was almost an addiction for me during construction. Now that we are basically done, it is funny how quickly my interest has dropped off.....until the next project!!

Good luck to everyone who is underway...

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Casablanca called and said they are missing a bathroom :)

In other words, stupendous! I love the subtle details, colors, the graphic lines. It is truly exceptional. Many Moroccan homes have a central courtyard with a water feature, you have taken that theme into the bathroom, very creative.

I am, of course, prone to drama so next time you are in Morocco bring back a blue tile work artpiece. Hang that as the final topping to an already exquisite bathroom.

Even your window drapery has the geometric moroccan pattern, very clever :)

Kudos!

• dixiechick_07
    15 years ago

Am sitting here watching HGTV "I Want That - Bath".... and surfing this forum. I occurs to me that "I WANT YOUR BATH". I have been wrestling with a color to do my bath and had ALMOST decided on very neutrel.........THEN happened upon your bathroom....It is AWESOME!!!! Many of your elements are exactly what I would like to have.....like your sink....what brand???? But the highlight is the pencil trim...........what manufacturer did you get it from?? I have not seen aqua.......it is beautiful..... It is truly one of the most beautiful bathrooms I have seen and incorporates both vintage and spa environments (the combination environment I would love to have)...... Know you will love it.. Thanks for shareing it with us.

• kawfeeaddict
    15 years ago

Stunning!!!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Fabulous, but is it alot to buff polish and keep clean? Your attention to detail is exceptional, wonderful room! And lovely tints and hues, so calm and restful.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Your bathroom is a stunner. I love the detail around the tub, including the tub base and the blue tile design. Just beautiful. And somehow you've made the standard hygenic products (makeup brushes, toothbrushes, etc) look nice!! And the fabric on the roman shade is just charming.

• kgsd
    15 years ago

This is gorgeous! The design on the front apron of the tub, is it part of the tub, or was it custom-made? If so, how was it made? What tub is it?

How was the niche constructed?

• alexamd
    15 years ago

Lovely!! I really love your tiled cabinet and the tub is wonderful. It makes me want to redo mine now! Enjoy.

• onlyme356
    15 years ago

Lovely bathroom, I would have made one thing different though..Looks like you may have maybe an 8-10" wall arm in your shower. A longer shower arm with a 6 or 8" rain shower head would have been a bit more flattering for the scale of your shower. I only notice this because I happen to be in the business of selling bathroom fixtures. Are those Kohler faucets you have installed? Looks beautiful

• brutuses
    15 years ago

OMG, that is by far the most gorgeous tub I've ever seen. Tell me, is that one piece, a tub with a surroung? Please, tell me about it. I can't have it, but want to know all the details. It's just fabulous!! Your entire bath is gorgeous. Love the design in the tile and the beautiful green you chose. You have great taste.

• spacechallenged
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Your bathroom is beautiful! I'm in the middle of a bath remodel and will need an access door of some kind on the end of my tub. I see you have a door of some kind on the faucet end of your tub that is tiled. Can you tell me about how that was done? Is the door a piece of plywood covered with 1/4" concrete board? And what type hardware/hinges etc? It's a great idea.

• marisany
    15 years ago

This is one of the most beautiful bathrooms I've ever seen. We are trying to finalize our design this week, and we were almost done, but now I am wondering whether we can incorporate some of your ideas. This is my thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg031230353431.html

We have now evolved to a different plan, which I am planning to post when I get the plan on my computer.

Can you tell me the overall dimensions of your bath? I don't think it is larger than my room, which is 10'11" x 7'6". So now I'm trying to figure out whether I can make some changes to end up with something like your plan.

Why are there so many alcoves and niches? This is what makes it so interesting - did you design it this way, or was the existing space set up like that? Is there "dead space" in any of those places? What is behind your sink, for example? How did you manage to set the toilet back?

I think I recognize the Toto Promenade - we already have two, and will probably buy a third for this bathroom. What is your sink? And what is the blue pencil tile? The floor?

I suspect that this will become, like the "ming green" bath, one of the most copied rooms on THS!

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!! Everything you've put in it looks perfect! Unique, but yet appealing to everyone. Congratulations!

• barb5
    15 years ago

I too would love to know the details of your tub.

Your bathroom is absolutely stunning!!!

• stu2900
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! You must be so proud!

• mojua
    15 years ago

nice!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

And I thought I had evolved past jealousy! Your photos make me covet my neighbor's bath!

That alcove plasterwork and the tiled cabinet are inspired touches. Love the trellis-y ribbony pencil tile accent!

And yes, I'm not kidding, those pics are so pretty it made me ANGRY for a minute -- or maybe that's what deep elemental envy feels like. I don't know, that was new to me, I'm normally a pretty mild-mannered bunnie, despite the name . . .

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Tulip
    Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL bath remodel -
    Waiting for Bill V to chime in on that incredible tile work

What do I love ?

Everything - the pic that really did it for me was the window one - I love old houses & their architectural features - is yours a Tudor? What was the orig size of the bath -

Please do give us more details... is the tub cast iron - I want to come over & just have a soak -

Lots of detail - you said you did the design are you a architect - some how in the biz, your attention to detail is telling

STUNNING bath - ENJOY

• john90505
    15 years ago

Brilliant!!

What do you have around the tub, is it a slab? If a slab, what did you do with the 'innards'?

Very creative, original, and well done!! Congratulations

• tulipscarolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, really, it is so nice to check back in here for all of these lovely comments! I was having a tougher day, and this really made me smile--thank you.

Okay, several questions were raised, and I'll try to tackle them.

* The tub is separate from the surround. The tub is a Bain Ultra, not cast iron. I'm not sure what it is, probably fiberglass?? acrylic?? Either way, I love it, and it has completely retained the heat in my hour long soaks! I know there was a lot of insulation put in under it, maybe that helps. The surround was inspired by a photo I found of another tub. My amazing contractor was able to copy it almost to the letter, except there were a few things I wanted to change. I think to get the curved shape he may have used something called WackyBoard that is like wood or fiberboard with grooves cut in it so that it will curve a little. I really am thrilled with the way the tub came out. Most of the tubs that I've loved in photos have a window behind them, and since I wasn't able to do that, I wasn't sure it could be a great focal point, but I think the ceiling over it helps make it interesting.
    * The stone on top of the tub is a single slab of marble. This was a hard decision for me. I had read some brilliant posts about reducing costs by having perhaps 4 smaller pieces of stone put together, which would result in just a few seams but would be a fraction of the cost. I really lost sleep over this one, but decided to go seamless and cut some other costs instead. It does kill you to pay for the whole thing and then have a giant hole cut out of the middle! I think some of the extra was used to make the shower threshold, shower shelves, corner shower shelf/perch (can't see in pictures), and a radiator shelf I'm waiting for now. But mostly, there is going to be waste if you go with this approach.
    *Room dimensions: the longest lengths are: 11'3" x 15' 6". However, it is only 130 square feet, rather than the 175 square feet that would imply. This is because there are various niches and bump-ins; the room is very irregular. There isn't actually any dead space. Behind the towel bar wall with the tile fish my 7 year old made :-) is a chimney. Behind the sink & toilet wall is my closet. Obviously the closet is deeper on the other side of the sink--this is a built-in dresser with very deep drawers. Directly behind the toilet, the wall is basically flush with the front of the dresser; I have a full length mirror here, and some hooks, etc. I did purposely make the room have lots of alcoves & other irregularities to tie into the rest of the Tudor house. I think these types of architectural features add a lot of interest.
    * The white subway tile is basic tile from Lowe's. The pencil liner is a color called Spa Glass, although it isn't actually glass tile.
    * The marble does not take much effort, at all, to keep looking "buffed and polished". In fact, it is wonderful if you aren't someone who wants to incessantly clean because the mottling of marble (greys, whites, etc) really hides a lot! I've had white tile floors before, and I think that required far more effort. The one thing that is a little more effort is the sink--I find if I splash a lot of water around and come back later, there are visible water marks (they come right off, of course). But it is just a matter of using a washcloth or a clorox wipe after I'm done using the sink to prevent this.
    * The faucets, etc are Restoration Hardware polished nickel. We re-did a master bath on the other side of the house before we decided to move to this room. In that first renovation, I sort of went to town adding extra showerheads, etc, but found that we personally didn't use anything other than a single showerhead. I know there are people who absolutely love all of that stuff, so I think you just need to know what you yourself will use. But for me, knowing that I wouldn't use the extra stuff, I far prefer the clean look of less knobs, valves & gadgets. Just personal taste.
    * The plasterwork was done sort of "old style"...I believe there is lathe, then 3 coats of hand-troweled plaster. My contractor was completely amazing and talented, did all of the work himself (demo, framing, tiling, rest of finish work, etc.) He did use an electrician and plumber. It took a long time.
    * I did try to retain as much of the look of my old house as possible. I had to really fight to keep my old radiator even though there were some issues. This room used to be a small nursery with a teensy bathroom inside (5x5).
    * Oops. I accidentally claimed too much credit. I did work with an architect. She is also extremely talented, but I really took this particular project on very personally. I did design the niches, chose all of the tile & designed the patterns, flooring, sink, fixtures, tub design, lighting, shower design, dimension, fabric choices, etc myself. She did do the final drawings & measurements. However, I've worked with her on other projects where I was much more hands-off, and clearly she is more talented than I am! But I like that this is a very personal space that I think really reflects me. Although I would never work without an architect--at least I know no ceilings are going to fall down because I didn't know removed walls were load bearing!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post; I hope I answered your questions. Thanks again for your comments, and good luck with your projects.

• marisany
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the information! I have to admit that my heart sank when I read that your room was so large - somehow I had imagined that it was similar in size to the one that I am hoping to to renovate starting April 15. Mine is only 11 x 7.5. So I will have to dispense with any hope of incorporating some of your space design into mine (discussed on the thread, "Please critique these plans...").

You are not near Westchester County, NY, are you? If you are, I would love the name of your architect.

• shayle15
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the info. I love the bath surround. Could you give me more info on what the contractor used to make it - or his #. Thanks a lot.

• jrabbot
    15 years ago

Hi tulipscarolan, I just came in to show your photos to my DH and GC for inspiration but you must have removed them. Any chance you could repost them?

I love your bathroom - I am going for something similar but with possibly a Greek or Roman bath feel.

Much appreciated if you could put your pictures back up.

Thanks very much!

• lucycakes
    15 years ago

Would love to see your bath too! Will you repost pics?

Many thanks!

• conn123
    15 years ago

please repost pics...for some reason every time I try to click on one of your links I get a message saying "this image or video has been removed or deleted". Would love to see your beautiful-sounding bath.

• skimchi
    15 years ago

Another vote for reposting the pics!

• User
    15 years ago

I'd love to see, but the links are not working. :c(

• golddust
    15 years ago

I want to see too!

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

yeah - that really isn't fair! I'm reading all of these outrageous posts about it - and can't SEE it! help....

• jcla
    15 years ago

Another request to repost the pics. I'd love to see it.

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

FYI, I see all the pics, no problem. Not sure what the snafu is. Hmmm.

Actually came back to peek at where your towel bars are... we are working on ours.

• blackcats13
    15 years ago

I have to admit to saving all the pics on my pc. Our bath remodel is years away and I don't want to lose this inspiration. I LOVE this bathroom. LOVE IT. When I first saw it last month I went back and looked at it so many times for so long. I shared it with DH and DSD and coworkers who are into this kind of thing. When I had a horrible week at work I left the pics up all day and would pull them up periodically to help me relax!! Looking at it again a month later, I still love it more than any I've ever seen.

• tulipscarolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi! Me again. Wow, I'm sorry, since I finished the project I don't really spend time on the site anymore, and didn't realize there was still interest in the photos of my bathroom. I took them down after it seemed the post dropped to the 5th page or so, thinking no one would see them anyway. But I'll happily repost them, I'm trying to do it in a separate, new post. I'm having a little trouble remembering how to make them show up from photobucket, but hopefully in the next day I'll figure it out. Blackcats, that is so nice that it helped with a stressful day! I'm so glad. I think I mentioned previously that all the lovely comments made a tough day much brighter for me, too!

• glenna
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning. I also like the fact that you've got trees outside the window (!).

What's the dark hex tile in your shower: dark green marble of some sort? It goes well with the marble (which I assume is carrera) on the floor. Did you buy this on mesh sheets? Did your tile installers add those rosettes, which also look like dark green marble? And finally, how's the slickness factor: do you think the floors in the both the shower and the room provide sufficient grip? Would you, for instance, trust an elderly relative in there with a walker? I'd love to know these kinds of real world details from your experience, now that you've got this beautiful bathroom up and running. And, as we all know, this is the kind of information that glossy magazines rarely provide.

• tulipscarolan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmm. This is interesting. I reposted the photos to my photobucket account, but I personally cannot see the photos in this message--it still says "photos have been deleted or removed" where the photos would be. However, it sounds like others can now see the pictures, so I'm going to assume it is fine for everyone. Anyway, enjoy.

Glenna, the dark marble hex tiles are Vinchianzo marble, a very dark charcoal grey, sort of like a faded black. I bought the two different color marble hex mesh sheets (all solid), and then picked out the hexagons where I wanted daisies, and substituted the opposite color. I just have 7 daisies (lucky number!) in the bathroom--6 dark and one light one in the shower. They are randomly located instead of in a specific pattern--sort of like petals accidentally dropped. I originally had a much more elaborate scheme planned, and I mocked it up on a tiny scale on paper first and loved it. But in actual size I realized it would have been garish, so I threw out all of my hard work, and am very happy about doing that!

On slickness, I don't have any issues whatsoever. I also wouldn't really be worried about an elderly person on a visit or a crazy, wet, running toddler. But I suppose if I was specifically planning for someone who was extremely frail, there might be even safer choices. I believe the small tile size and resulting increased grout lines provides some extra traction vs. large tiles, though.

Good luck.

• lwitt
    14 years ago

Hi, I absolutely adore your bathroom and hope to use as many elements from it as possible in our bathroom. What is the brand of the sink and where did you buy it, if you don't mind me asking? I have been looking for a console or pedestal sink with lots of counter space but everything I've found is well over $1500 and I don't want to spend that much. Thank you so much! Leslie