Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large subway tiles in a shower

Posted by christy203 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 8:27

Does anyone know how large subways in the shower look? Our master has a pretty big shower and our tile lady is recommending 6x9 subway tiles instead of 3x6... we are going a light blue and white subway with a mosaic design. She thinks the 3x6 will be too busy, the shower is about 5x5, if you know can you let me know since we need to make a decision really soon? or does anyone knwo where i can find pictures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large subway tiles in a shower

I used 4 x 12 white subway tiles in my 5 x 8 bathroom, including the walls of the tub/shower combo, and I love the way it looks. I also used 4 x 12 subways in my kitchen, 15 years ago, so I knew I liked the look. Of course it would be different inside an enclosed shower, but you would still have the advantage of less grout and more nice white blocks of ceramic. In a small shower you might have to cut too many tiles to go around the corners, but since your shower is close to the size of my whole bathroom, that would obviously not be a problem.

o

We're using 4x12 subways too. Do a search for catmom's pictures to see an example of that size of tile.

We originally picked a 8x20 subway that we really loved, but the only trim offered to go with that tile (expensive long qtr round) would have bankrupted us.

o

We used ~4x12's in two bathrooms (same tile, had it installed vertically in one, horizontally in the other), and 8x20's in the third bathroom (had White Thassos marble tile cut down to use for trim rather than the bullnose tile that went with it). The shower in the first bathroom is only 3'x4'.

Doorway shot

Shower Stall

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Vertically Set 10 x 16 Subway Tile

We decided to set large 10x16 subway tile in a vertical pattern to create an illusion of height. Our steam shower ceiling slopes down, so we decided the vertical arrangement will help compensate for the low ceiling height on the North wall. Our designer suggested large tiles instead of several smaller options; she warned the overall layout would appear very busy and out of proportion if we used small subway tiles in our larger space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master bathroom renovation underway...

o

I think it will look great. It better! I'm using 6x12 tiles in a subway pattern in my shower as in this first shot, the second and third shots are pics of showers with large subway tiles from houzz.com:

Seagrass at T&T

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. contemporary bathroom

Raven Inside Interior Design contemporary bathroom

o

6x9's a horrible in a running bond pattern (brick work). Their length is not proportionate to their height.

o

We used 6x12's in a running bond. While I disagree with antss that 6x9's will be horrible, you might want to play around with a few tile samples to see which configuration you like best.

IMG_1491

Here is a link that might be useful: more large-format subway tile pics here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here