Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jett254_gw

Cabinet panel tub/shower combo - so confused?!?

jett254
10 years ago

We are renovating the guest bathroom in our 1927 colonial home. It is not a large bathroom and the plan is to keep the layout pretty much the same.

The bathroom has two doors - one leads to a guest room and one leads to the hallway. Walking in the hallway door, you have the tub/shower to the left, the vanity to the right and the toilet past the vanity. Then the door to the guest room is on the left wall just past the tub and the window is on the back wall toward the left. The vanity is very shallow - 18 inches - so we will have a custom one built.

My issue/question is the tub/shower combo. The look I'd like to achieve is a new bathtub installed (30x60) - so it will be butted against two walls that will be tiled with subway tile. Then on the other two walls, I'd like to have a white cabinet panel surround the tub (not sure what that is called) and then have a marble slab surround sit on top of the tub on those same two walls and then put a frameless glass shower door sitting on top of that.

See picture for an example of what I mean by the white cabinet panel - I might be using the wrong name.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of tub I need to achieve this since my tub only installs against two walls - not 3 -- right now, the tub has a knee wall at the end by the door into the guest room. I'm so confused - do I need a drop-in, an undermount, something else? Will this design work? Appreciate any guidance!!!

Comments (3)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The one pictured is a drop in because it sits on top of the marble deck, but you could do an undermount where the marble deck covers the tub.

The advantage is with this type of tub is that it can be installed in a one, two or three wall situation because you are building the tub surround. (it could even be made free standing with the proper faucets)

• jett254
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so this isn't complicated - I could do a drop-in tub, the contractor can build it in and it can also be used as a shower, install frameless glass doors and panels and it won't leak or cause water issues?

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Yes, this is very doable to have a tub deck out of stone with the sides wooden paneling.

I'll give a little more info to ineffablespace's post.

1. Install an undermounted tub with a stone tub deck - just as you would an undermounted sink. The shower enclosure will sit on top of the stone deck. When you finish showering, squeegee the glass plus the stone deck. The stone deck will not be slanted to where the water will drain into the tub so you will just need to squeegee it. If it was me, I would also run a towel around the glass and stone caulk seam to prevent mildew. I would recommend that your contractor install a tile flange on the edge of the stone deck that meets the wall. The tile flange comes in two types, one in a continuous roll and the other long strips. Think of it like weather stripping. The tile flange is attached with adhesive to the stone along with a bead of silicone caulk. The cement board for the wall will be installed up to the edge of the tile flange. Nowdays, folks like to use a product called Kerdifix to fill the gap between the edge of the tile flange and the cbu. A moisture barrier such as Kerdi or Hydro Ban/Red Guard/Aqua Defense is put on top of the cbu. Then the tile is installed to where it overhangs that gap. The remaining gap between the edge of the tile and the stone is then filled with silicone caulk. You will need to maintain this bead of silicone caulk. You will need to order a tub that can be specifically undermounted. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the stone cut out and the tub installation. If there is silicone caulk between the lip of the stone cut out and the tub, then make sure you maintain that caulk bead also - just like a lav or kitichen sink.

2. Install a drop in tub where the lip of the tub will sit on top of the stone deck like the picture you posted. The glass enclosure will sit on top of the tub edge. You will then install a tile flange on the 2 sides that will be incorporated into the tile wall. Or you can have the tub manufacturer install a tile flange at the factory. The best way to go is to order a tub that has the tile flange made with the tub, called an integral tile flange. Companies like MTI and Hydro Systems can customize a tub with one to three sides with an integral tile flange.

Don't skip installing a tile flange if you will be taking showers. The tile flange can be skipped if the tub is just for soaking, but definitely not for regular showering.

It is a very pretty look. Just make sure it is done correctly so you don't end up with water damage. Ensure that your contractor follows these specifics because many contractors are not familiar or comfortable with these kinds of details, practices, and products. Take many pictures at all phases of construction.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 0:44