Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

$5000 fixture allotment?

nancita
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are adding a bathroom to a second flor. Our GC has given us a $5000 fixture allotment. Is that too low? I haven't researched the prices of a tub, toilet, sink etc. and I don't want to skimp on them , yet I don't the high end either. No tub surround, no laminate floor but no gold handles.

Just wondering if it's better to scratch the allotment and purchase on our own. I know it sounds silly since we are spending more than we planned on this remodel, but there's still furniture we will need and always something else.

Thank you for any input.

Comments (6)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I think that depends on what is included in 'fixtures'. Is that limited to the actual tub, toilet and sink or does it include all of the mechanics/faucets for them?

will you have a shower in tub combo? 1 sink or 2?

does that include vanity? you don't want any surprises.

what do you mean by no tub 'surround'? no tiling around it? or just no front ledge?

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Average Toilet-$250-290
    Average Fiberglass Tub Insert-$450-550
    Average 48" Vanity-$300-400
    Average Cultured Marble Countertop w/ Integrated Sink(s)-$250
    Average Faucets (Sink & Tub) incl valve-$350
    Average Light Fixture-$150-200
    Average Exhaust Fan-$100-150
    Average Towel Bars/Paper Holder-$40-100
    Average Mirror-$100
    Average Vinyl Floor-$200

Total = $2190-2590

So the answer is yes, that is a large budget and it can be done for less than the contractor has allowed. You need to check the terms of the contract you have with him to ensure that if you come in under budget or you opt to purchase your own fixtures that you will get a credit or he will take the $5000 off the quote now. 2 things to keep in mind--1)his supplier may be higher and the contractor may take a cut in addition to the plumber taking a cut for which you get their 1 year warranty, 2)if you purchase your own fixtures, they will only warranty the install and nothing else.

Example--
    A faucet fails and the bathroom floods ruining the vanity, floor, subfloor, wall, etc

If you went through the contractor for the fixtures & install--the contractor & plumber will repair/replace all of the damage under their warranty.

You buy the fixtures yourself and take the credit/reduction in quote--the contractor and plumber will only warranty the install and nothing else. You will foot the bill for repairing all the damage, deal directly with faucet manufacturer to get the faulty faucet replaced & your contractor will have the plumber come out and install the replacement for you.

With that being said, how often do these things happen during the 1 year period after install?

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

Allotments or allowances are the easiest way for a GC to bid a job within the homeowners described budget and then later when the homeowner chooses materials that exceed the allowance, the homeowner has to open up the purse or wallet to make the purchase.

Boom. There goes the budget. Cost overruns galore.

So you're doing the right thing by shopping now. Find out if the allowance is realistic based on your needs (how many fixtures you need) and taste (low cost or high cost).

And if your contract is somewhat ambiguous, do find out if the allowance is just for the fixtures themselves, or the fixtures plus installation labor. And you also have to define "fixtures" since your inclusion of the flooring comment threw me off a bit.

Does your GC include flooring costs inside the "fixture allowance"? I ask since you mentioned "no laminate flooring". And taking that further, does that include things like tile as well?

I'd get nit-picky with the GC to find out what exactly is covered by the $5000 allowance:

-Plumbing fixtures: tub, sinks, toilets, faucets, shower valves, shower valve trim kits, shower heads and installation costs?

-Flooring costs: subfloor prep, underlayment, finish flooring and labor?

-Finish surfaces: tile prep, underlayment, tile, and labor?

-Lighting fixtures: switches, dimmers, timers, and actual lighting fixtures (ceiling, shower lights, and wall sconces) and installation?

-Ventilation: Fan switches, timers, ventilation fan, duct, and installation labor?

-Knick-knacks: towel bars, mirrors, etc.

In my realm of construction, a bathroom "fixture budget" is simply for the plumbing fixtures. Toilet, sinks, faucets, tub, shower stuff, etc. Your comment about flooring is what threw me off. So definitely have a conversation and makes sure you're doing an apples-to-apples comparison and not eggs-to-bacon.

But yes, you need to go shopping and find out if your $5000 allowance can cover what you like. It's time to become very aware and very involved. Sorry if I want overboard with the alarm for caution. But it's always best to ask questions earlier rather than later.

Best, Mongo

• fall
    12 years ago

I had too many horror stories. I buy all my materials (tile, fixtures, tub, toilet, etc), and just get bids on labor. There are so many avenues these days to get good pricing on materials for the average homeowner, I see little benefit for the allowance route.

• fall
    12 years ago

I had too many horror stories. I buy all my materials (tile, fixtures, tub, toilet, etc), and just get bids on labor. There are so many avenues these days to get good pricing on materials for the average homeowner, I see little benefit for the allowance route.

• shmeal
    12 years ago

We just priced out fixtures for 2 1/2 bathrooms and came in around $8k, most of the items were not top of the line but what I would consider upper-middle. That cost included fixtures only - sinks, faucets, shower valves and trim (thermostatic and volume controls), shower heads, body sprays, hand shower, tub filler with diveter, toilets, one tub. This did not include towel bars, etc.

So for one bathroom, I think that is a good allowance Depending on what it Actually covers (see previous comments).