Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is better, acrylic or fiberglass tub?

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 2:07

I am looking at replacing my bathtub.
There seem to be acrylic tubs, mostly. I believe I had a fiberglass one once.
Ais this material the same?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is better, acrylic or fiberglass tub?

I don't have single tubs, but have a one-piece acrylic shower unit and a one-piece tub/shower combo unit. They are very thick and solid feeling, no flexing at all when standing in them. I have showered in many fiberglass units and they seem to feel very flimsy.

My acrylic tub/shower unit is almost 30 years old and still looks good. I will replace this one soon when I do a bathroom remodel (only because it is harvest gold and I want a shower only unit). My children have cheap fiberglass units in their homes they look and feel terrible.

Both mine had some type of very high gloss finish (perhaps gel coat) and they are SO EASY TO CLEAN!

I think I read somewhere that fiberglass is supposed to be easier to repair if you get a crack - I have had no experience with that.

o

Acrylic and fiberglass are not the same per se. Not sure if fiberglass tubs are that common any longer.

Acrylic has the advantage of being solid material, through and through. Fiberglass is a mesh of glass fibers and various resins, which is then coated with a smooth surface (what you see).

Downside is if that surface is damaged, you're into repairs which are costly and potentially impossible.

Acrylic on the other hand is a solid material - so you're not going to have the same sorts of problems.

I have a solid acrylic clawfoot tub and have had no issues in the daily use it has gotten for 5 years.

photo Bathroom20080730003_zps8165e9cd.jpg

o

Ok. Thanks. I was not seeing fiberglass anywhere so was wondering if they were outdated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here