Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ren25_gw

too much carrara

Ren25
12 years ago

I am in the middle of remodeling two bathrooms and have used this great website for so much advice! This is my first question --

In the master bathroom, we have purchased the RH French Empire double vanity in antiqued black with the honed carrara finish. We are doing 8X16 honed carrara tiles in a herringbone pattern on the floor, a creamy/white/gray paint on the walls with white trim, and RH horn accessories. We will have a walk-in shower with no door. The shower floor will be a small carrara herringbone.

What I can't decide is what to put on the shower walls --- 6X18 ceramic white tiles (Soleil from Ann Sacks) or 8X16 honed carrara tiles? If I do the carrara, will it be too much carrara in a small bathroom?

Comments (5)

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Personally, I really like the look of using the same material throughout a bathroom. I think it would look fantastic to use the carrara tiles on the shower walls. In my opinion, using the same material throughout a small bathroom can really make the space look larger. I did the same thing with my guest bathroom and it looks much larger than before.

Have you tried searching Houzz.com for carrara bathroom pictures to see if you like the look?

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

i have been struggling with the same decision. i am leaning towards doing all carrara for simplicity since it might be difficult to transition if the tiles are different thicknesses. having ceramic tile in the shower would definitely be less maintenance though.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I love the look of the carrera marble, however, it is becoming such a frequently used material that you run the risk of seriously dating your bathroom because so many people are using the same exact materials. IMO you'll find your bathroom to be a little more classic and timeless if you mix in ceramic tile instead of going carerra everywhere.

• adel97
    12 years ago

I think Carrera as a primary wall, floor and vanity top material works well as long as there is at least one other element to play off of. Your black vanity and wall color should work nicely to do so!

I'm remodeling a small-medium guest bath with marble tiles on the floor and tub surround, but will have maple slab door cabinets and a solid gray countertop (the gray thus tying in to the gray veining in the floor and tiles). I am also planning to use a gray glass-carrara mosaic backsplash tile to tie the countertop to the other tile as well. I'm going for a more modern look and I love modern style using traditional materials such as marble.

And yes, marble is being used a lot right now, but it has been used in baths and kitchens forever! It's the styling that will date no matter what, not the material.

Here's a shot of the mid-reno tile. The tub surround is not grouted yet, but the floor is. Below is the cabinet color, countertop material and BS tile.

I sure hope that's not "too much Carrera"!

• Ren25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharonite, I think your bathroom is going to be beautiful! I hope you post pictures when it is finished!

Thanks so much for the opinions. I am shooting for a simple, clean, traditional feel. I am leaning towards doing the carrara for the reasons suggested - to keep it simple and hopefully make the space appear larger. I really hope it doesn't look dated in 10 years! I wasn't even aware that marble was particularly "in" right now - shows you how with it I am. Also, the shower is enclosed by a pony wall (no glass), so you really won't see much of the carrara unless you are taking a shower. Now I just need to decide whether to stack the tiles or line them up . . . the decisions are overwhelming!