Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with picking bath lighting

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 1:56

Hi all, With so many gorgeous bathrooms posted here, i thought maybe I could get some advice on putting mine together from you all. I think this is how I want my master bath to look like. It will not be a large bath, about 10x10. I want the bath to be contemporary, with a mediterranean feel, if possible. I want to do carrara marble (or a ceramic lookalike), and some sort of tile rug, a 60 inch furniture style double vanity and his/her mirror cabinets. All of the faucets are chrome finish. I am having so much difficulty picking bath lighting. Can you help me out? I need to find a minichandelier or minipendant to hang over a 60 inch pedestal tub. And also some lights to hang above the medicine cabinets -- no room for the lights on either sides of the mirrors. It seems a lot of the pendants that I like are not rated for damp locations. Thanks for any suggestions!
Here is my mood board:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with picking bath lighting

Michou, it's against code (around here, anyway) to hang a chandelier over a bathtub -- or at least, you have to hang it so high, you might as well not bother. It's a safety issue; It's to prevent you grabbing the electrical fixture if you start to slip getting out of the tub. Check your codes to see if this is true in your area before you do too much shopping.

If you really want that look, you might go for a hanging candle light of some kind. I don't recommend actually lighting the candles when you're in the bath ... hot dripping wax might sort of ruin the ambiance!

o

Can you hand the chandelier in the center of the room with it lined up to the tub from some important vantage point?

Very nice inspiration pictures. I like how the shower is outside the stall confines;)

A wall light I found on ebay that I bought but haven't recieved yet is a Norwell scone. They are chromed brass and safe for damp locations I am told. They have a web site. I got the Emily, which may be too old fashioned for your plan.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Norwell Lighting

o

Chibimini, thanks for the tip about chandeliers over tubs. i have no idea if it is against code where I am. i will have to check. i guess i can always hang it a little out in front of the tub and a little higher too.

Enduring, thanks for the the link to Norwell lighting. they look like really high quality fixtures. there are a couple of styles of wall sconces that i think might work. thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here