Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmc_in_sf

tile for whirlpool deck top?

cmc_in_sf
16 years ago

We're about to frame out the bath deck for our Whirlpool tub (American Standard Renaissance 2732) and I just realized for the space it's to go into, there can only be about 2 3/8" of surround on the back and front sides of the top (and probably one of the adjacent sides) of the deck for the drop on tub. We want to have the front of the deck in wood panel (craftman style). I can imagine a granite or other slab material would be a nightmare to cut and install due to this narrow dimension, so I thought tile would be easier and cheaper, but I'm concerned about how the finish edge of the tile would look dying into the wood. A 1 1/2" lip would be preferable, but I can't see how that could be done with tile. Any suggestions on a cool edge finish or a different material for the top? I thought of wood to match the front, but wanted to check the tile idea with the forum. Thanks!

Comments (32)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

What I'll do alot of times is use a bullnose that'll cap the edge of the wood. The problem in this case is that it would most likely mean having a grout joint run the length of the tub right in the front of the deck... UNLESS you use something like granite TILE (or any other stone or rectified porcelain) in which case the pieces could be cut to size to overlap, and then bullnosed.

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Bill. Actually, I think I will be using a granite/stone tile. Do you have any pictures or details that show how to bullnose the edge? I can't seem to picture this in my mind yet I've heard this can be done. (obviously, I'm novice). Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

It's not something I'd recommend DIYing. What you want to do is cut the pieces to size, and then bring the pieces to be bullnosed to a stone shop. They'll charge you give or take about 10-12.00 a piece, and it's money well spent. nevermind the cost of the equipment (about 350.00 for a set of dry pads and another 150.00 for a variable speed 5" grinder), it doesn't take much to heat the stone to the point that it crystalizes, and then the only thing you can do is toss the piece and make a new one. I don't know how well you can see it in these pics, but here you go:

• toadangel
    16 years ago

hey bill - i was planning to do this with my ceramic tiles on the outside top edge of my tub deck, and use beadboard for the front. is that possible? not sure how to grout it with wood as the perpendicular surface...

would i be better off trying to find something else for the deck top?

thanks,
    lisa

• toadangel
    16 years ago

... (wish we could edit posts here)... or should i use a different type of bullnose, like one of these?

"Interceramic Bullnose (A4200) 2 x 6"

"Interceramic Counter Top V-Cap (A8262) 2 x 6"

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

No, you're better off with the flat surface bullnose, What you do is where it meets the bead board, caulk that joint. I just went looking thru my pics, because I've done this s few times over the last couple of eyars, but I couldn't find any. Closest I could find was this one. Pretty much the same idea, only this was done with brazilian cherry, instead:

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill, thank you so much for the info. I will definitely go to a stone shop for this. Thanks!

• toadangel
    16 years ago

perfect idea! thanks so much.

sorry for the sort-of-hijack, cmc :)

is the sf for san francisco? my favorite city... would be there if i were a rich girl

lisa

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No problem, toadangel. Good to know this stuff! Yes, I'm in San Francisco. Believe me, we're not rich by any means. We just bought at an okay time. That why we're DIYing most of this stuff. Good luck on your project!

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

We did a tub with wood facing and tile deck. I used a tile chair rail to cover up the transition. I just glued it to the wood face and grouted spaces between the chair rail pieces and between the chair rail and the deck tile.

(Hoping to make Bill drool again.)

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weedyacres - your tub is gorgeous (as well as the rest of your bathroom). What kind of tile did you use? I can't even tell it's tile!

Oh another question: Since my DH is framing out the deck he thinks the tile butts up to the tub rim and caulked, but I think it should run under the rim and caulked. Which is best? Thanks again!

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

It's a resin chair rail that looks like natural stone. I bought it at Lowe's.

You should definitely run the tile under the rim of the tub. It's a much cleaner looking junction than having the "ragged" edge of the tile showing.

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks weedyacres. I'll pass that info about the tile under the rim to DH.

That's a resin chair rail? Wow! Looks great. I also wanted to know what kind of tile you used for the top of the deck. How did they do the edging for that? And while you're at it, what kind of tile did you use for the floor. I just might "borrow" some of your ideas.

Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Weedyacres, all you gotta do is post that tub. That's all it takes!!

Some day when I'm rich and famous!! :-)

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

The tub deck is a porcelain tile I bought at Lowe's. I can't remember the name, but I'll check next time I'm there if it's important. It was around $2.50/sq ft. The big floor tiles are ceramic from a local tile store in the $1/sq ft section (see, now I'm admitting that our "luxury" bath was really done on a budget.) The inserts on the floor also came from Lowe's.

cmc, I'm not sure what you mean about the "edging."

Bill, I can't speak for your bank account, but you've already got the famous covered, at least in this neck of the web.

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weedyacres - I'm very impressed that you bargain hunted and came up with that gorgeous bathroom. It's very inspiring! For the edge, I meant bullnose for the tile edge. From the photo, it looks rounded. Did you get that at Lowes as well? Or did you have to go to a special tile shop to have that done? I'll check out the tiles at Lowes the next time I'm there. Thanks for the lead.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

weedy, what a beautiful bathroom on such a small budget. Are the deck tiles 12 x12? Now I have to rethink the design of my master bath and see if I can get it that gorgeous on my budget.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

weedy, I took your lead and went to Lowe's today and low and behold found me some very nice tile as part of my master bath design. Thanks for posting your photo that gave me the inspiration I needed.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

cmc: If you mean the tiles on the wall behind the tub, yes, those are prefab bullnose above the decorative pattern. I didn't even know one could have things custom bullnosed before discovering GW a few months ago. And I probably would have been too cheap to do that. :-)

The deck tiles are 12x12, and are the same as we used in our shower.

I only wish that we could have bargain hunted everything, especially the $3000 shower enclosure (ouch!). And the shower pan, which cost more than the tub. (sigh) But you save where you can, I guess.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about the shower enclosure and pan. We've opted to put up a glass wall for a shower enclosure. It's just DH and myself. The glass block will save us a lot. Our shower is 6 x 6, so a glass shower enclosure would have cost more than we can afford. DH is still contemplating buying the shower pan that we learned about here from Patricia, I believe it was. It's also very expensive and we'll have to see if we can afford it or else DH will have to build the shower pan himself.

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weedyacres- Sorry, I must be asking the wrong question. On the tub deck, it looks like the top has a thickness of about 2", but it must be some kind of bullnose, no? Or is that the tile chair rail? and the piece below is the resin chair rail you wrote about earlier? If those are the materials, that's really cleaver. I know this is asking a lot, but if you get a chance, can you post a close up picture of that? Thanks!

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Sorry, cmc, I misunderstood. That chunky thing on the side is all the resin chair rail.

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weedy- thanks for the close up pic. That tile chair rail / resin chair rail combo matches your deck tile so well. Very innovative. Again, I'm inspired.

Another question. Since we just started our bathroom, and haven't really priced anything yet, is the shower pan and enclosure that expensive? ($3000!)? Is that for all materials (the system and all the finishes?) Yikes! We're planning on a 3'8"x5'-6" walk in shower with no door and porcelain tile through out. What post should I look at for advise on this? Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I believe she was talking just about the glass.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Alas, the $3K was indeed just for the glass. The shower pan was $1200. The faucets were $300 each. You can see why we ended up with $1/ft floor tile. :-)

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weedy- thanks for the close up pic. That tile chair rail / resin chair rail combo matches your deck tile so well. Very innovative. Again, I'm inspired.

Another question. Since we just started our bathroom, and haven't really priced anything yet, is the shower pan and enclosure that expensive? ($3000!)? Is that for all materials (the system and all the finishes?) Yikes! We're planning on a 3'8"x5'-6" walk in shower with no door and porcelain tile through out. What post should I look at for advise on this? Thanks!

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops, I thought my original question about the shower pan and enclosure didn't get posted. Thanks for the clarification of the cost for the shower, Weedy and Bill.

Weedy - wonderful 2nd pic of your bathroom. I would never have know it was $1 sq. ft. tile. Again, nice job!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

cmc in sf, I think it was Patricia43 who had posted some information about a custom shower pan. My husband inquired with the company she recommended and yes it was very expensive, but seemed to be worth the price so we are going to get it. Unfortunately our computer went down, we lost some things so now we have to go back and search again for the information. If you want to search this forum, she was answering someone who was inquiring about shower pans specifically I think. Maybe she'll see this message and be able to help us both with the information.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Here is the link for the shower pan I was referring to if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brutuses- thanks for the link. I'll look into that option.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

weedy, I went to Lowe's, found some samples of tiles, brought them home, DH and I agreed on which ones we wanted, went back today, all discontinued and only a few to chose from!! Wanted to hurt someone. LOL

We went to another store and found another tile we liked, found all the trims, except for one, got home with the tiles, half are broken. They have plenty on line available and most probably have more at another store. Just the aggravation of moving those heavy boxes is enough to make me want to give up on my budget bath. LOL I really don't have a choice at this point though so I'll have to stick it out. HA! With all the trouble I'm having with this bath I wish I had made it my first priority instead of my last.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Weedyacres, what a perfect bathroom! I see you used quarter round in the bathroom and it looks great. You an your husband are truly so talented with tile work and renovations and obtaining neat grout lines. I have printed some of your pictures and all your tile layout designs look just wonderful. What color grout did you use in the bathroom with those big beautiful tiles? Is that the Mushroom Grout color also I love in the Laticrete SpectraLock?

Also Brutuses tile work are also beautiful and so professional with such small grout lines. If either of you lived near me, I would hire you to do the tiles in my foyers and kitchen and in my bathroom when I am ready. I hardly have any floor space since I live in the expensive part of Northern NJ that is near NY where square footage is at a premium.

One day I want to move to an area where the cost of living is less and the pace of life is slower.