Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to replace drywall with behind new tub surround?

Posted by czissman (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 1:32

Hello,

The tub-shower in a rental property has gotten so badly water damaged that the drywall above the multi-piece surround is moldy and crumbling, and there are numerous patches of mold on the ceiling and walls. I'm planning to rip out the surround and all the drywall in the bathroom (there are mold stains through the paint everwhere), and start from scratch. Of course, I'll also be installing an exhaust fan to help keep this from happening again.

My question is this: Which materials should I replace the old drywall with? I'm thinking greenboard on the entire ceiling (even over the tub-shower) and on all the walls *except* the walls immediately above the the walled sides of the tub. I'm not sure if I should install greenboard on these three walls or not. your thoughts? I'll be installing a new multi-piece surround.

Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to replace drywall with behind new tub surround?

No, not greenboard. I am fairly certain that you want a cement board-type wallboard; Hardibacker or Durock are two biggies (DH used Hardibacker--got it at Home Depot). You also want some sort of waterproofing. Either the Kerdi system (a fabric-like membrane) or a roll-on (Hydroban or Redguard for ex.). None are cheap but well worth the protection.

o

If it's a rental, I'd be sure to install a switch for the fan that has it turn on every time the light is turned on. You can put in an exhaust fan, but if your tenants don't use it, you'll continue to have problems. I wouldn't need to do that in my own home, because I have incentive to use the fan, but not sure all tenants would be that careful.

o

Green board would be fine behind and above a tub surround. Make sure the outside wall is well insulated. Install the exhaust fan and prime and paint the walls with a good enamel paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here