Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub won't fit?? Use 6.5x13 tile surround for tub?? HELP!

Posted by linnybinny (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 1:05

I am driving myself crazy with picking out everything for my master bath remodel. I need some advice, please!!

We have a house built in 1977 with original small tub. From wall to wall to wall (so behind the current tile) we have a hair over 59" x exactly 39" to fit a new tub. I can't find a decent cheap one that will fit! Does anyone have any suggestions?? Is it possible to cut into the wall a little??

I'm also trying to pick the tile for the tub/shower surround (combo). I like the look of the brick-lay, but of course it's more expensive, so I have to be sure. The tile we like comes in a 6.5 x 13" size. Would that be good for the walls? Has anyone ever done this? My husband is concerned that if we have our 18" on-a-diagonal floor tiles and then the 13" square on-a-diagonal wall tiles that it will look funny -- too similar, to matchy-matchy, boring, etc. Any suggestions?? This is our tile we've picked, in the cappuccino color:

Here is a link that might be useful: Marazzi Artea Stone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub won't fit?? Use 6.5x13 tile surround for tub?? HELP!

Hi, is this your forever house, and if so, do you have room to move one of the walls? A six foot tub is a lot more comfortable if you are a bath taker, but you'd have to decide whether it is worth the investment of reframing. What kind of tub is installed now, and how big is it?

o

Do you have to have a tub? You could do a nice sized master shower instead. As to the tile - you could add a coordinated decorative tile to the bath or shower wall to break things up a bit and add some interest, or do a horizontal 13 x 6. ( or so ) top and bottom row of the field tile to break things up, or both.

o

yeah.... I'd cut the walls down a half inch to fit a full 60" tub. if you're going to take baths, I would say that 60" isn't really enough to be comfortable. well for us tall people.

Also, again, maybe just my personal preference, but I wouldn't do diagnal on floor and walls where they meet up. I'm not really sure if you can easily transition from floor to wall like that.

a shower that size would be nice too if you want to kill the tub

o

I understand your decisions, we are also in middle of remodel, it is so much over budget and my DH keeps saying if you don't make some happy decisions when you have the opportunity and installing a new tub and tile is not something repeated, every time you walk in that bathroom you will say gosh I wish I had thought thru some options to have what would make me smile. If you love candles, and a nice bath even occasionally I would try to find that tub.

o

What's behind the non drain end of the tub? If it's a closet like so many bath setups, then you can steal some room for it for your tub. You can always find a pantry type cabinet to fit there or face the closet the other direction if that will help with storage.

o

Thanks for all the replies! This is our first house, not our "forever" house. We are planning to finish the bath update so we can put our house on the market within the next 8-10 months. Then hopefully we'll be in our "forever" (or at least for a long time) house. :)

The tub in the master is somekind of old, original cast iron tub. So I know it will be a pain in the butt for our GC to remove! I'm not much of a bath person except for occasionally, but my hubby likes to take them a little more than occasionally. Really this update is to make our home more attractive to potential buyers and hopefully secure us a fast sale.

The master is one of the only things we haven't updated in our home, and we're not planning on spending a fortune. What I DON'T want to do is spend this amt of money period, and then wish I had done the tub. It's in really good condition, but it's so narrow and shallow. I wanted to potentially put in a deeper, wider one, but the walls are an issue. The non-plumbing side is my husband's closet, which is the same size as mine (not very big, but a "walk in," which is the plumbing side.) Moving a wall is an expense I'm not willing to undertake, so that's why I was wondering if we could hack into the wall just a bit where the tub is against my husband's closet. I havent talked about this with my GC yet. I'll do that this week. But y'all have seen that done??

Removing the tub and taking the time/money/effort to create a big walk-in shower is not what I wanted to do. We do have another tub in the hall bath, but not having a tub in the master might make someone not want our house. It's all about resale at this point! At the lowest remodel cost. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here