Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Use Old Grout That Is Still like Fine Powder?

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 0:48

I have a box of TEC powdered unsanded grout that was opened over a year ago but was sealed with duct tape. It still looks and feels like fine powder, no clumps. Is it still good and can it be used? What are the telltale signs of dry grout that has gone bad? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Use Old Grout That Is Still like Fine Powder?

I was wondering the same thing because we have two half full 25 lb bags of Laticrete Permacolor leftover from our just completed masterbath reno. If they don't have a shelf life once they're opened, I thought I'd either give them to my tilesetter or see if Habitat for Humanity would have use for them.

o

Unless it's in water-tight containers, shelf life is about a year. With containers, meybe longer. Mix up a little bit and let it set up at least a day and see how hard it is.

Having said that, grout is cheap...if in doubt, toss it.

o

Toss it. That's a year from the date of MANUFACTURE, not date of purchase. Not worth taking the chance on.

o

Thanks Everyone for your input....out it goes.

o

I didn't know grout would go bad. How does that happen if it is kept dry? I would love an exclamation.

o

Two words-- ambient humidity. Even in the little bit of air trapped in airtight bags. It doesn't take that much moisture to set off portland cement.

o

I would love an exclamation.

Here you go - !!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

o

terrick...
HAHAHA
:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here