Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deep, inexpensive, durable 60" tubs?

Posted by naturalmom (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 0:39

After all my research and hand-wringing, I think I really want a deep tub. I'm very tempted by the around $200 Sterling Ensemble, because it's deep. I'm also tempted by the surround, because it's easy.
Anyone had one for a longish time and can comment on how it holds up over years?
The reviews on Lowes and HD websites are iffy. Some love, some hate.
It looks like there are no porcelain-finish tubs, whether Cast Iron or Cast-whatever, that are deep, for around $400. I called American Standard, and they said that the Cambridge isn't really deep; it's just wide. Plus, it's in the high $500's, anyway.
I'd love some advice. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deep, inexpensive, durable 60" tubs?

> I called American Standard, and they said that the Cambridge isn't really deep; it's just wide

Well, actually it is pretty deep. I don't know who you were talking to about that, but I've seen the cambridge in person several times. It's not as deep as something like the Kohler bancroft, but it is much deeper than a standard builder alcove tub.

Honestly, whatever you decide I think that cheaping out on a tub is the very worst place in the whole bathroom to do it, because it's the most expensive thing there is to change again. Get cheap tile, a cheap sink, a cheap toilet, but choose a tub that will last. You can replace the others much more easily.

o

Believe me, I hear what you're saying. The only problem is, I have to cheap out on everything in the room. It's not a matter of saving a little here, to splurge there. The only way I get one of the around $600 tubs I like, is to get a miraculous bargain somehow. Otherwise, I have to choose in the less than $400-range.

o

We've had our Sterling tub for just over a year now. Love it! Also got the surround. Don't have the pics handy but they are posted here if you do a search. I find if we clean it weekly it cleans up very easy. We use a bathroom cleaner first and rinse it off, then typically take a shower to really rinse it well, then hit it with a magic eraser. No problem with the textured floor on that schedule.

Might sound like a lot, but it's just spray and let sit while brushing teeth, rinse, shower, and run the magic eraser over everything before getting out of the shower. Easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here