Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Floor Saga Continues (Latest Subject: Polished Slate)

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 0:26

I had talked myself out of using slate on the shower floor and started looking at 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 mosaic porcelain tiles in the under $10/sft price range. I am looking for something dark (black, gray), but want to avoid a solid color.

Based on some recommendations I found on this forum, I looked at Daltile Continental Slate and found the Asian Black to be too blue for my shower. I also saw a more basic Daltile 2x2 which comes in plenty of colors, but the colors had no variation -- just solid. I also looked at Crossville Bluestone which looked nice until I saw the price.

Then, I came across a 2x2 called Black Slate. I wanted to avoid slate, but this was unlike any slate I had seen in the past. It's smooth, each piece is the same thickness, and it has a very slight sheen. The salesman stated it was polished slate. It had no clefts and the salesman okayed it for a shower, whereas he would not recommend cleft slate for a shower. To top it off, it was priced at $7/sft for the 2x2 mosaic.

Has anyone had experience with polished slate? I plan to get a sample of it and soak it in water for a couple of days as suggested in another post. Anything else I can try in order to determine if it will hold up on a shower floor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Floor Saga Continues (Latest Subject: Polished Slate)

I have honed Ostrich Gray slate/quartzite (16x16) in my laundry room / mud room, powder room, pantry, and entry. I also intend to install it in my kitchen. It's gray, charcoal, silver, and black with a lot of variation and pattern. The surface is very smooth and also has a slight sheen. I purchased from a local store, but Arizona Tile also carries it. I don't have it in a shower, but so far I have been very pleased with the material. I absolutely love how it looks and everyone that sees the new floors has nothing but nice things to say.

o

I have honed gold green slate in my shower, tub surround and bathroom floor, I can't tell you about long term durability but so far it's fantastic. DH and I have a thing about natural stone there is something very organic and special about it that can't be duplicated in even the best porcelains. I have gauged slate in my entry and laundry room and don't like it nearly as well as the honed

o

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm wondering if the slate I'm looking at is actually a quartzite since it resembles the slate from Arizona Tile and since it's the only slate I've found that looks the way it does.

o

The Ostrich Gray I used was termed slate at one place and quartzite at another, even though it's definitely the same stone. Either way I do think it's a wonderful stone.

o

yes, the gold green that I have is actually quartzite, but you see it advertised as slate too. I fell in love with the Ostrich Grey but they only had 12x12 and our GC wanted to use 16x16 so we went with our second choice the gold green. I think after discount it was around $4 sq ft, $6 sq ft for 1x3 trim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here