Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice on sconces and mirrors

Posted by scrapinsal (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 0:19

we are just starting to plan a master remodel. I have several questions but the first is about mirrors and lights over vanity. It is a straight shot, 83". Two sinks on either end and drawers in the middle. Am planning on two separate mirrors with sconces on the sides rather than overhead.
With that much space, would you recommend 3 sconces (with just one in the middle) or 4 with one one each side of both mirrors.
thanx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice on sconces and mirrors

It is probably a silly rule of mine but I always decorate in three's, five's and seven's.....I just ordered three great looking sconces from Circa lighting. The bad news they are on back-order until June but loved them so much I am waiting. Along with the three sconces I did some lighting from ceiling that tilts toward vanity.

o

Recessed lights are cheap to buy and will give better light than sconces. So add the sconces for the look, and add the recessed for light when you need light.

o

I would add a tower in the center of the sinks, then go with 4 lights. But you didn't ask that :-) I think 4 lights would look like a lot, but could be ok if the mirrors are on the smaller side.

o

I am doing something similar. i think 4 lights will look nice. you can also do 2 single sconces and one double in the middle.

o

I agree with winesnob. Not only with the 'numbers', but with the lighting from the ceiling. I'm also a little worried with that 83" space that 3 sconces just doesn't sound right either. Maybe too spaced out. Have you considered revisiting your sconces-only rule and putting an overhead 3-light fixture above each mirror? And some canned or an overhead chandelier complimenting the mirror fixtures would be lovely. We have a chandelier fixture in our bath with a ball fixture above the tub (all on separate dimmer switches) and it works great.

I have sconces-only in a half bath and I wouldn't want to rely on those lights alone for putting on make-up. They are purposely a bit on the soft-lighting side, but even if they were amped up with some stronger bulbs it wouldn't be enough 'getting ready' light for me personally.

o

I read somewhere that in order to properly light the face, sconces need to be spaced 30-40 inches apart. Do a little research to confirm that. My memory is fried from my own bath renovation! Also, I think recommended lighting includes overhead and side lights. Good luck; only 99 more decisions to make!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here