Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stogniew

Shower floor: poor epoxy grout job?

stogniew
11 years ago

I would welcome comments from professionals whether I should be concerned about the epoxy grout job on my shower floor tiles. these are 2 inch tiles.

There are "dents" in the grout, some of them deep enough that the sharp edges of the tiles are exposed. I worry that the soup and shampoo lather and residues will gather in the crevices and will not rinse of and I will have hard time cleaning the floor especially that the sides of the tiles are not glazed, only the tops. Secondly, it is simply unpleasant to step on these edges. Am I being too picky? Or should I worry and if so, what would be the remedy?

as a reference:

good part of the floor

Comments (12)

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

The joints do appear to be raked out a bit too deeply.

And the grout is a lot more textured than any epoxy grout that I've ever used. Do you know what specific product was used? Did you see any grout bags or boxes/containers on site?

As to the "repair", first find out what specific product was used. The sooner you find out, the better. Grout remediation is one of those areas where time truly is of the essence.

Certainly post back here, but for your fastest response I recommend after you find out what product was used that you call the manufacturer's tech department.

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

we purchased the grout and it was opticolor.

Unfortunately, the floor was done two weeks ago... so what options do I have now?

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

we purchased the grout and it was opticolor.

Unfortunately, the floor was done two weeks ago... so what options do I have now?

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

That's not a grout that I typically use. It does have aggregate in it, that explains the visible texture.

I encourage you to call Mapei's tech department at 800-992-6273. Situations like yours are exactly why tech departments exist. You can refer the tech you speak with to this thread, or email him the photo files you posted here.

I'd certainly be interested to hear their recommendations.

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did and e-mailed the pictures to a local representative. will update once I learn more.

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did and e-mailed the pictures to a local representative. will update once I learn more.

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

following on your comment:" That's not a grout that I typically use. It does have aggregate in it, that explains the visible texture. "

If I wanted a smoother finish, I should have used different brand of grout?

If yes, which one gives a smooth finish? This is what I was hoping for, but for this particular floor, it will be what I already have I am guessin, but I have other spaces that need tiling so would appreciate advise for future projects? .

• enduring
    11 years ago

I used Laticrete epoxy grout, called Spectralock Pro Premium, purchased from a linked website that Laticrete has available for customers. It is very fine textured. I have seen posts stating Laticrete has a very high quality product and a nice consistency, both in texture and color.

Here is a picture of my grout, not a real close closeup, but you can see that it is rather smooth and consistent on the grain size:

This post was edited by enduring on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 20:04

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks; this is helpful.

I cannot locate the link in your message; will search for sources to purchase, but maybe the tiling store where we got the Opticolor: Tile America will sell it too- I will need to call them tomorrow.

• enduring
    11 years ago

The Laticrete web site has an area where there are several links to online sources for their products. Here is the place I ordered mine from and they did a great job of packing and shipping.
    http://www.tilestoreonline.com/
    Look under the grout on the left side. I ordered the "full" unit that they offer without the pail and it was very reasonably priced, but you have to also buy the color too. On the Laticrete site they have a grout calculator in an excel file that you download and can plug in your tile dimensions. Very helpful. It might be on the tile website too.

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks a lot- will explore...

Any comments how the current issues can be remediated?

I am trying to get somebody local to come and see and give advice, but would not hurt to be educated before they "sell" me a solution.

• stogniew
    Original Author
    11 years ago

for those interested.

The Mapei rep comments were:
    "The product is mixed in the pail and can not shade if mixed properly. The grout joints appear to be very deep in some areas while somewhat flush in others. This is an installation issue and not a result of product performance."

and "The outcome one sees in the photos is not typical of the Opticolor grout. Applying Opticolor results in color consistent grout with flush grout joints. The grout issue you have is an installation issue and not a product issue."..

No suggestions for remediation, but he gave me names of three installers. I hope they will be willing to come and finish the job..