Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Basic bathtub

adh673
10 years ago

We are redoing our master and hall bath. For the hall bath, its a tub/shower combo. The walls are tiled (we will re-tile). We have three boys who will be all probably be over 6'5" by the teenage years and who will be using this bathroom. The youngest is still a toddler though so we've got a ways to go- he is still taking baths. Anyway, Im looking for a replacement tub for the 80s one that is there (probably cast iron? it has a chip in it) but I was thinking of going a little wider since the kids are going to be big it would help for them to have a bigger shower area. So what is my best option here? Should I go with a 32 inch one? Material? Any recommendations? Its an apron set up. This is a kids bath so I'm much for focused on function over luxury. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Kohler Expanse is curved and gives a lot of room for showers. It is garden sized tub for bathing. Comes in 60 x 30 or 60 x 32. Install a curved shower rod and your boys should have lots of elbow room.

You can search this tub on this forum to get more detailed info.

Also, install the shower head a little higher and/or install a handheld on a slider bar.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 10:03

• adh673
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Anna- I am going to go with that one. I think it will be perfect to give the boys a little more space.

Now on to the master tub- I take a bath every night and had started off thinking I would get a Jason Microsilk, dual air, jet tub but then I started to think I lost my mind as they are over 5K. Then I got scared off of whirlpools with the maintenance issue then I decided it would be less of an issue for me since I use it daily but maybe I should go more moderate.

Except there are 3000 moderate choices and I don't know where to begin. I know I need an alcove, 5ft. I don't want super duper deep as we will run out of water. I would love neck jets and foot jets and would also want one where the mfg has taken some steps to make sure the jets drain.

Ideas? TIA!

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I'm not up on whirlpools. What I do know is that using them regularly is the key. Also, avoiding brands that use flexible hoses is a biggie in avoiding gunk - they are corrugated and hold water. Also, a good manufacturer will position the hoses to where they should slope to where the water will drain down and out.

Get an inline heater to maintain the water temp. You will need a dedicated line to the whirlpool - don't use the one that you are running a hair dryer off of. You will need two outlets - one for the pump and one for the heater.

Also, there are a lot of regional manufacturers that make whirlpools that have excellent products and more whirlpool upgrades than some of the mass marketed brands. For example, Kohler has limited jets in their tubs - none on the backrest - and only offers a 1 year warranty on the pump.

You may want to start a new thread for mid priced whirlpools.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 10:40

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Get one of the "new" curved rods to hang the curtain. The create a surprising about of room , especially for tall people, for showering. No hitting or getting stuck to a shower curtain liner. They're great.