Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reglaze or buy new bathtub?

Posted by tblmom (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 23:40

The tub in our new house had adhesive caulking on the floor and wall seams around the tub. When our contractor went to take it off today during demo, he realized that whenever they last re-glazed the tub, they did it with the adhesive caulk strips in place.

The bathroom had thick plaster walls, but will be fitted with thinner dry wall and then tile. But the wall in general will be a good in and a half thinner than it was. So the un-glazed portion will be visible after the wall is up.

The tub itself is in great shape...and it's cast iron. I've read that the re-glazing doesn't stay that well and has to be re-done soon after. Should I just get a new tub instead? The only thing is that I don't know if we can get another cast iron in our budget.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reglaze or buy new bathtub?

I think it very much depends on the company you use. We plan to reglaze a tub in our current house, because demo-ing it is not practical in terms of other concerns. We are leaving a still-perfect old mud job tile surround and having the tub redone. In our previous house, we had an old cast-iron tub from the early 1900s reglazed and it lasted for 15-20 years without problems (it was still fine when we sold the house so I have no idea what happened subsequently, if anything). But there are some real scam guys out there in that particular business, so you really need to research the company you are using, get references, etc. But we were VERY happy with the job at our old house so as long as you find a firm in which you have confidence, I think you'll be pleased.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here