Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Pan Slope Problem? (Pic Included)

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 23:38

The slope of my shower pan doesn't carry all the way to one of the walls. In the photo below, the board is laying on the correctly sloped portion of the pan. As you can see, there is a gap between the shower pan and the board. This gap is about 1/2" at the wall. The faintly visible line along the wall is where the shower pan should have come up to.

Should I correct this? If so, how?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Pan Slope Problem? (Pic Included)

Yes, this needs to be corrected. Being that you've caught it before the tile went down, it's an easy fix, and most pros would be able to take care of that just with some "creative troweling" of the thinset when they install the tile. But what you can do, is take some thinset, and using the flat edge of your notch trowel, fill that void, laying it flat on the CORRECT part of the pitch, allowing the end of the trowel to "float" above the void just as your stick is in the picture, thereby screading off the thinset and filling the void.

o

Bill:

I have a half bag of Laticrete 255. Will that work okay for this? I vaguely recall reading that thinset should not be built up 1/2 inch and thought I would need to use more 3701 to fill the void. I have both 255 and 3701, and will use whichever you recommend.

o

255 will work fine. It's MADE to be able to build up a little more than most thinsets, and in fact, I use it for all my shower pans, just for this reason.

o

Bill:

I'll use the 255 to build up the edges. As always, thanks for the great advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here