Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlk58_gw

Another ming green copycat bath

mlk58
15 years ago

Some time ago I saw a fabulous powder room on this forum, here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0101221128858.html

Turned out that person had copied the design from another fabulous bathroom, here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/gal0918581211576.html

I fell truly madly deeply in love with the whole concept, and my husband and I just finished our new bath, with the same floor, same paint color, and very similar wall treatment. We absolutely could not be more thrilled with the result, and I wanted to come and show it off to y'all!

Vanity and medicine cabinet: Strasser

Bathtub: Kohler Lakewood

Fixtures: Kohler Fairfax

Toilet: Toto

Here is a link that might be useful: Our bathroom before and after

Comments (24)

• mlk58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trying to post a photo:

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Lovely, I love ming green and you have done an excellent job of using it in the bathroom.
    Very , very nice...

• constanceann
    15 years ago

What a great job! I love that floor - can you give details about it? Enjoy all your hard work.

• mlk58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!

The floor is a marble basketweave in white, ming green, and darker green. The border is plain ming green marble, which we had cut into 4-inch tiles.

A note about the marble chair rail and pencil trim: All "ming green" isn't the same -- the pieces delivered to us varied quite a bit in color and veining and we had to lay them out by hand to make sure it didn't look too patchwork-y. If you are doing a marble border and want it all to match perfectly, you should plan on ordering at least 25% extra. I'm a little peeved that our tile seller didn't give us a heads-up on this.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Very nice!

• neesie
    15 years ago

Your whole bathroom remodel is amazing; I especially loved your basketweave tile. I am new to this forum and have never heard of the term (color?) ming before.

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

So pretty! The tile design is simple but beautiful, and the glossy white tiles really make the mosaics stand out.

What's your counter top made of?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Very nice! Even love the scale :)

So a question: the wall border tile: is it true mosaic, of I guess marble? If so, I'd love a closeup to see it. The floor is so great, just wonderful. I love all the mixes you made of various shapes and sizes all over the room.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Very pretty! Im thinking of using a ming green subway tile for our shower.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Love this!

Your vanity is perfect! I've drawn a copy of it, and now on to try and find something similar (been looking for over a year). I'm guessing yours is about 60" wide?

I too am a green lover- and may have to try another copycat! :>)

• mlk58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the border is a marble mosaic. It comes on a mesh backing in about one-foot lengths. Amazingly, every single piece was almost identical in terms of the colors and shapes of the pieces. Here's a close-up:

And yes, the vanity is 60 inches wide. It comes in several finishes, with and without legs, double and single sinks. If you google "Strasser vanity" you will find several sources online.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

So very pretty, mlk58. I just picked up the latest BHG Baths issue and none of the baths in there are as nice as the ones I'm seeing here at THS.

• mlk58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anna! I'm so glad you're still around to see our variation on your beautiful bathroom! Yes, we think the pencil trim is just the icing on the cake -- it's one of my favorite parts of the whole thing! And I keep telling my husband that the wall color is so yummy it's all I can do to keep from licking the walls!

• annachosaknj6b
    15 years ago

Don't you love that feeling? I used Benjamin Moore Winter Gray in mine, but the Lavender Ice is also perfect with the ming green.

As I mentioned to hoffman, I sold that house and hated leaving that bathroom behind. I am planning to recreate it in my new house though...I miss it so much. It made me feel good every time I walked into it.

• wisrose
    15 years ago

That floor tile is the prettiest I have ever seen, in color and pattern, I love it as well as the border. Beautiful bathroom, enjoy!

• houseful
    15 years ago

Oh, wow! That's really beautiful!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I love everything about it . . . and that's saying a lot, because I'm not ordinarily drawn to anything green! But you put all the elements together beautifully. I especially love the vanity and med chest . . . and floor . . . and mosaic . . .

Great job!

• hoffman
    15 years ago

mlk58,

I was the original ming green copycat (thanks again, Anna!) I've broken my gardenweb habit now that my renovations are done, but a friend sent me this link. I love how you combined elements from my powder room & Anna's original.

Enjoy!

• mlk58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoffman! I'm so glad you got to check in, too! We looked all over town for your mosaic border, which has apparently been discontinued, but we were very happy with the one we ended up with.

I'm really tickled to think of all these "sister" bathrooms scattered around the country. :D

• marisany
    15 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful, and I remember the original. We are starting to plan our second bathroom, and I am probably going to copy some elements, too. I am looking tonight for vanities, and I love yours. I looked on the Straser website and found one just like yours in a 48" width, which is just what we need, as our space is 50' wide. I did want some narrow upper cabinets, though, on either side of the mirror, and coming out only about 12" - they didn't seem to carry them, but maybe I will find another solution.

• kgsd
    14 years ago

I'm late to this thread, but can you tell me what kind of tub you have?

• kgsd
    14 years ago

Also, did you buy your basketweave tile from the same place as the original ming green bathroom?

• mlk58
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a Kohler Lakewood tub. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. We have the very. last. one. I know this because our tub was delivered with a hole in the top, and Kohler actually had to rev up its assembly line one last time, and squeeze out one last tub, to make us a replacement. It slowed down our project by about six weeks, but it was worth it because that was the only tub we found that was big enough for the two of us, but fit in our small space.

We got our basketweave tile at a local place (link below). I saw it at a couple of stores here in town, so I think it's fairly widely available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tap n Tile