Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom reno completed in 5 days .... well almost

Posted by rufinorox (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 22:59

We are almost complete with our DIY bathroom renovation. Since this is our only bath we had to make this a quick reno. We are about 75% done. We started to gut on Friday 4 hours later we were done. Saturday and Sunday walls were back up. Monday shower and floors were done. Tuesday toilet was installed and this is where we are. The showere and vanity will be installed over the weekend. Here are some before and after. I'm still in need of a wall color.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom reno completed in 5 days .... well almost

Ooooh!! It looks very nice--and only 5 days! Love the tile & accent strip you went with. Enjoy!

o

Wow, looking good! I can't believe you got to that point in so little time!

o

Ah, pretty new tile! Nice job.

...You kept the pumpkin soap dispenser, right?

o

Thank youall! Yes I am amazed at where we are. Fortunately, my husband and his contractor friend work very well together and they really impressed to get us to this point. I'm happy with how everything looks so far. This wasnt my luxury bath project so I really didn't put any wow factors. We just needed to update from our yellow 60's bath.

Biochem thanks! The grout has since dried lighter, but I think it still works well wih the tile. Oh and yes I kept the pumpkin dispenser!

Hoping to get some ideas on paint color now.

o

As one former yellow bathroom owner to another (as you know!) I hear you! LOL

o

This looks great! I can't believe how fast they are working. We are going to start a remodel on our yellow bathroom in May. We have you beat. Not only do we have yellow tile half way up the walls but the sink, toilet and tub are all yellow too! Can't wait to remove the yellow. That leads me to my question for you - what is the tub you now have? I like my old cast iron yellow tub and, being short, don't want an 18" high tub. Your tub looks like a different one than in the before pics, but still seems to be a cast iron, shorter tub.
Thanks!

o

constanceann--we had the same bathroom as yours! Our plumber always said that the American Standard yellow was his favorite color! LOL

I might be able to help with your tub height dilemma. We replaced the lovely yellow tub in that bathroom (ours was enameled steel I believe), and added one to the MB. We installed Toto cast iron tubs in both (the 1525 model). Our plumber had us install the tubs on top of the first layer of our plywood subfloor. The second layer of plywood runs up to the tub's apron (and then there's mud, thinset, and tile on top of that second layer). This way the tub is slightly sunken into the floor. The tub is a normal depth tub, but the step out, over the lip/top edge, onto the floor is a shorter step, if you know what I mean. I couldn't understand why our plumber had us install the tubs that way (thought it might be an aesthetic thing, just for looks, so the tub didn't look as tall and obtrusive perhaps), but the first time I actually used the tub, the lightbulb went on--"Ah-ha, it's easier to get out of the tub" (without whacking my shins on the side/top of the tub--which clumsy me did on many occasions!).

Don't want to hijack, so do a search for my finished bathrooms and you can see the lovely before pics (yellow and all!) and you might see how the new tubs look height-wise. If not, email me and I'll try to take some pics showing that for you.

o

Constance - yeah I would say you have - and I'm sorry to say I never want to see that color again. The tub is American standard americast it's not cast iron it's porcelain steel, however it has a height of 17.5 inches. I wanted a soaker tub and that's the only one I could find without buying acrylic. Hope this helps.

o

rufinorox, did you find a brushed nickel vanity light and shower set that you like? I'm waiting to see whether you install the light upside down or not? ;)

isn't it great to get rid of that old tile?

I love your skirted toilet! Is it a TBO (Totally Bath Obsessed, plagerizing the Kitchen Forum TKO) to have toilet envy??

cheers

o

I did it will be installed today. The light fixture can be installed either way. I may place them facing down, not sure yet. Depending on how much more light I need when putting on my make up.

The toilet is my favorite and it's at a comfortable height. I read many review about the cadet and it's seat. It's not uncomfortable at all.

This forum is total obsession. I was on the kitchen forum 2 years ago. Many great ideas.

Picture to follow after completion.

o

Beautiful!!!

o

Here are more updated pictures

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Bathroom/?action=view¤t=ShowerTile.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Bathroom/?action=view¤t=Tilearoundsink.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

o

Very nice! You did a great job!

o

thank you! we still need a paint color!

o

Here are more updated pictures

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Bathroom/?action=view¤t=ShowerTile.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad40/rufinorox/Bathroom/?action=view¤t=Tilearoundsink.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here