Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subway tile or 4x4 in 1940 bathroom

Posted by tblmom (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 22:51

We are going to redo the bathroom in our 1940 colonial. The original tiles were 4x4" squares. I can't tell you the color since all the tiles were painted over with celery green paint...and not well either. So we had to rip it all out.

The lower wall outside of the bathtub will be covered with beadboard (putting up a new wall and retiling is out of our budget right now). We are going to retile around the tub. The floors are currently 6x6 squares which we are keeping since they were put in pretty recently and are still in good shape.

I love the look of subway tile but would it still be appropriate for the house (built in 1940 on the dot) or should I stick to the 4x4's?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subway tile or 4x4 in 1940 bathroom

I don't know about subway vs square. But here is a picture of a bathroom at the hospital I work at that was built in the early 50's. I took these several months ago as I was getting ready to tile my 4x4 wainscot. In my old bathroom it was plastered to replicate 4x4 tiles. This bathroom was built either in the 30's or 40's.

Hospital bathroom:
 photo IMG_1911.jpg

photo IMG_1909.jpg

Here is my new tile:
 photo IMG_3539_zps2d347204.jpg

Here is the old plaster embossed tile shapes from the 30's or 40's. Note the versatile white duct tape to cover the gaping holes in the plaster:
 photo IMG_1653.jpg

This room had reached the end of its life 15 years ago!
 photo IMG_1655.jpg

o

If you like subway tile, why not use it.

o

I would say 4x4 would be more period appropriate if that is your concern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here