Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kerdi Drain Sounds Hollow (Pics Included)

Posted by jaidog (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 22:39

I'm using the hybrid Schluter Kerdi Drain + Hydroban method in my shower. I had to glue the Kerdi Drain to the drain pipe prior to pouring the mud shower pan since I have no access from below. Mud shower pan was poured yesterday using Laticrete 3701.

Now that the pan has dried, I fear that I may have a problem. If I tap on the Kerdi drain, it feels solid all the way around except for a small section. The section shown between the screwdrivers has a definite hollow sound to it when I tap on it. I know there is mud underneath, but I also know the mud is not all the way upto the underside of the drain.

There is even a small hole that is visible in the second photo where it is obvious that mud is missing.

Do I need to worry about this?
If so, what can I do?
And, is the whitish discoloration on top of the mud normal?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kerdi Drain Sounds Hollow (Pics Included)

I'd use an epoxy syringe and inject a mix (loose enough to inject, but still as stiff as possible) of thinset into the hole at the edge of the flange.

Mix up the thinset to a loose, but not free flowing consistency. Let it slake. Mix again. Load the syringe. As soon as you load the syringe, inject it. Reload and repeat.

When you stick the end of the syringe in there, use a rag and your finger pressure to plug the sides.

As long as you can get decent fill to support the flange so there's no flexing of the flange you'll be in good shape.

Let the thinset cure overnight then do the tapping test the next day.

You can call Schluter Tech and see if they have any other ideas.

But my main concern is deflection. If you have no deflection, just the hollow sound, that's good. But I'd do the fill anyway.

If the flange can move, it needs repair. If the edge of the flange has lifted and it's above the level of mud, it definitely needs repair.

o

mongoct:

I spoke with Laticrete tech support and they suggested filling the hole with watery thinset. Doing it with an epoxy syringe as you suggest sounds like a perfect way to get the thinset as far into the hole as possible.

There is no deflection right now. I can press on the hollow portion of the flange and it does not move. But, I want to be safe and will use your syringe idea.

Thanks (once again)

o

Don't make it too "watery". "Watery" scares me. "Loose" is better. ; )

If too much water, when the water evaporates the cured solids will just turn to crunchy dust.

Your not the first one this has happened to, so no worries there. Nice job with the sloped mud! A nice way to spend a relaxing hour, eh? lol

Mongo

o

The mud pan may take a pro like yourself one hour. It took me three and that was with a helper! But, really not that difficult.

Rather than take a chance with watery thinset, should I just squirt some epoxy into the hollow area under the flange? Or, should I stick with thinset?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here