Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthasiny

rain head mount & polished nickel questions

Martha Alvarez
12 years ago

I am in the process of purchasing Rohl Polished Nickel hand free 3 func shower set/rod; 8 inch rain head; thermostatic control and 2 volume controls for my shower.

1. I need help deciding if 8 inch is wide enough to enjoy the rain shower experience. I am concerned that if I go larger, I will have an issue with less pressure causing it to be less enjoyable.

2. I also don't know whether to ceiling or wall mount it.

3. If I do wall mount it, how long should the arm be?

4. If I ceiling mount on 8 foot ceiling, how long is the arm?

5. Is there a disadvantage to a arm with a hook rather than a straight design w/wall mounting?

6. Can I mix other vendor hardware - is polished nickel the same across vendors?

Comments (6)

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

1. 8" is a bit small. It depends on what you are looking for though. The more concentrated spray from a smaller head can be quite nice, just not the whole body feeling you get from a larger one. We did a 10" in our master bath but we did a 7" in a tub/shower where we did not want to have a door and wanted the water to come straignt down to reduce overspray. They both feel really nice, just different.

2. Ceiling mount is a cleaner look, so if you can do that, it would be better, in my view. However, if you are unsure about using a rainhead, then a wall mount would let you change out to a regular head later on.

3. Long enough to stand away from the wall. The 15" arm is what I would do.

4. They come in varying lengths. Hansgrohe makes the mounts at 4" and you can stack them if you want. I just use one 4". It depends on the height of your ceilings and the people who will be using the shower. I used a 4" mount on an 8" ceiling.

4. Not sure why there would be.

6. They are not the same.

• Martha Alvarez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Rohl shower head arms for wall mounting the rain head are either 12 or 20 inches so I guess I have to use 20 inches since 12 would put be me nose to wall under a rain head. I am using a separate hands free shower set on a rod so I can get a pressurized shower from that.
    I was told by Rohl that the spray from an 8 or 12 inch rain head is the same since the can fills up and the outflow is 2.5 either way.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i have found that there is MUCH less variation in finish with the polished nickel finishes than with brushed nickel and stainless...
    we have cifial PN faucets and shower head, a hansgrohe handheld shower, RH switch plates, alno knobs, and a TP holder i picked up at lowes i think and they all seem to 'match' color/finish wise very, very well...

• Martha Alvarez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I decided to go with a ceiling mount on my shower head.
    1. So now I have to decide between Rohl 8" anti-cal rain shower head vs Danze 10" rain head. Would prefer bigger, but afraid of losing pressure on larger head. I called Rohl back and they gave me contradictory info on whether the flow was affected. Also, is anti-cal worth staying w/Rohl smaller head?
    2. If I hang it 6" off my 8' ceiling, isn't that too high? I am only 5' tall, but my husband is 6'. Can't I use a 12" rod? Won't it splash over the shower doors if I only go 4-6" off the ceiling?
    3. Speaking of glass shower doors, how high do they go?

• Martha Alvarez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. The order went in yesterday. I thought I was going to faint when I saw the total. But, my fault for picking Rohl I guess. I went w/a ceiling mount w/6" rod because I am 5' tall, if it ends up being too long, I could swap it out for a 4 inch or maybe cut it. I also went with Rohl 8" anti-cal rain head in polished nickel at the advice of the salesperson. I just have to get going on the doors next.