Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on backsplash to corian countertop

Posted by DMack108 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 22:15

I am having a Corian countertop fabricated for my bathroom vanity. I am getting mixed opinions on the wisdom of not having the corian be my backsplash too.

I planned on my backsplash being a mimic of the subway tile and marble chicklet border that will be in my shower (my shower has 4x8 white subway tiles with 3 rows of carrara marble 5/8" chicklets and will have a shower bench with the same corian as the vanity.) I planned on having the backsplash on the vanity be a 2" subway tile topped with the 3 rows of carrara marble chicklets, but my tile guy says there can be problems with the subway tile grouted against the corian (it can crack over time and may need to be maintained). My builder says he has the subway behind his own corian vanity and it has had few problems, just maybe needed to be regrouted after a period of time.

Should I do the corian backsplash instead? It's only a 3 foot line behind the vanity that will be done. My designer and I searched forever for a countertop that would match the shower color scheme. I didn't want a marble top because I have a marble floor and wanted a contrast. We finally found this corian, even though I had originally nixed the idea of corian. Does anyone have a different material for their backsplash (vs vanity top) that they can advise on how it has looked and held up over time? I already bought the materials, but it really wasn't much money for such a small area.

I need to figure this out before my fabricator orders the material next week. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on backsplash to corian countertop

According to all I've learned here and read elsewhere, you would not grout the tile where it met the corian, but use caulk instead. The rule of thumb is that with any change of plane you caulk. Because there could be small movements, the grout would crack and the caulk would not. This would be true if you had a counter made from corian or marble or other material.

o

I much prefer a coved Corian backsplash to anything else. No chance of cracking, leaks, etc. This is what I'm doing in my 2 new bathrooms.

o

we installed coved corian backsplash in our kitchen. easy to clean and no seams, replacing the original tile countertop which was nightmare to clean. I guess we could add tile on top on the wall but haven't. Two bathrooms still have the original corian counters, but the contractor who built the homes did not use coved, they put in seams to make the corian backsplash about 3" high. Odd because they went to the trouble to add a wood strip along the front sandwiched into the corian to match the cabinets. I love coved finish and would also prefer to do that to a tile floor if possible. Soooo easy to clean.

o

I have coved Corian in my kitchen and when the countertops lady measured today for my two new bathrooms I specified coved Corian again. The seamless finish is wonderful and ties the room together.

o

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll look into this coved backsplash if I have the time.
To enduring: I'm sorry, I used the word grout, but it really was caulk that my builder and tile guy were talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here