Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmack108

Question on backsplash to corian countertop

DMack108
11 years ago

I am having a Corian countertop fabricated for my bathroom vanity. I am getting mixed opinions on the wisdom of not having the corian be my backsplash too.

I planned on my backsplash being a mimic of the subway tile and marble chicklet border that will be in my shower (my shower has 4x8 white subway tiles with 3 rows of carrara marble 5/8" chicklets and will have a shower bench with the same corian as the vanity.) I planned on having the backsplash on the vanity be a 2" subway tile topped with the 3 rows of carrara marble chicklets, but my tile guy says there can be problems with the subway tile grouted against the corian (it can crack over time and may need to be maintained). My builder says he has the subway behind his own corian vanity and it has had few problems, just maybe needed to be regrouted after a period of time.

Should I do the corian backsplash instead? It's only a 3 foot line behind the vanity that will be done. My designer and I searched forever for a countertop that would match the shower color scheme. I didn't want a marble top because I have a marble floor and wanted a contrast. We finally found this corian, even though I had originally nixed the idea of corian. Does anyone have a different material for their backsplash (vs vanity top) that they can advise on how it has looked and held up over time? I already bought the materials, but it really wasn't much money for such a small area.

I need to figure this out before my fabricator orders the material next week. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (5)