Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

bathroom Remodel Ideas

kats_meow
12 years ago

We are buying an existing house which has a master bath that is OK but we are inclined to want to remodel some aspects. First the pictures of what is existing and then my thoughts/questions:

{{gwi:1400965}}

{{gwi:1400966}}

{{gwi:1400967}}

The wall that has the vanities and the linen cabinets at each end is sort of OK but have in mind to make following changes:

1. Put in a kneespace in the middle so I have somewhere to sit when I dry my hair (not needed so much for putting on makeup - mostly just to sit while drying hair).

2. Replace cultured marble with granite and 2 undermount sinks.

3. Not sure what to do about mirrors. I like a more contemporary look. i like the 2 mirrors instead of one large mirror. However, I need a mirror when I sit at the kneespace to dry my hair. 3 mirrors might be a bit much so maybe have one large mirror? Thought?

4. Maybe replace the cabinets. I don't really like the existing cabinets and prefer drawers rather than bottom cabinets. If we replaced the cabinets I would probably keep the linen cabs at each end but maybe put laundry hampers in the bottom instead of drawers.

5. Tub - It is jetted and I actually prefer soaking tub. That said, I don't use the tub much so maybe keep it as is. However, the tub and surround is sort of a dark color that I don't like (it looks white in picture but more dark tannish/gray in real life). Maybe I could keep the tub and just put in a tile surround? If I did that would it save money to keep the tub and just change the surround or should I just change the tub as well?

6. Shower - Shower is a nice size. When we were planning to build (decided not to) we were going to have a 2 person shower that had no door and was handicap accessible with no lip on the edge. I think this space is large enough that we could make it handicap accessible (we don't need to accessible now but wanted it just in case for later -- a few years ago I broke my ankle and was in a wheelchair for a few weeks and it was annoying to not be able to get in the shower).

The shower just has one showerhead. If we decided to take out the shower and put in a tiled shower are we stuck with the existing showerhead or could we add a body spray at that time. What about adding a second showerhead on the back wall? If it matters, house is built on a slab.

Basically is it at all feasible without major dollars to add either a body spray (same wall as existing shower head) or second shower head to the back wall or the opposite wall?

Dimensions -

Tub - 60"

From beginning of linen cabinet to end of linen cabinet at the other end - 139" (existing vanity is 91 1/2")

Shower is 55 12/" x 43 1/4" and there is about 14" in front of the shower before the edge of the wall to the left. (Shower is across from the tub)

Comments (7)

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Following up...I'm thinking about doing a tile shower and putting in a shower panel for a handheld shower and body sprays. Has anyone used on of those?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

it's a lovely bathroom as is.

if you change out the counter top you could drop the center section down for a 'sit at' area. could just use a mirror on a stand there - they make some really nice ones. Are there some extra floor tiles somewhere there to put a floor in underneath the drop down vanity area?

You'll lose that cabinet underneath - leaving you only the 2 under sink cabs (other than the end sections). Those doors could be used to make pull outs there for a laundry hamper, trash bin. or just put a small plastic trash bin inside one of the under sink doors (or 2) and use for a hamper (that's what I plan to do). You do have a lot of storage in that bathroom.

you also have 3 drawers on each end to use - lucky you!

I've not used / put in one of those shower towers but have looked at them online - out of my budget range -at least for now.
    tub - if you don't use it much, I wouldn't bother changing it - sit on the edge of it and use to soak your feet. that's what i plan to use the one in my mstr bath for rather than rip it out. At least I'm gonna try that and see how it goes for about a yr. That's what I'm doing with a number of things - gonna live with it for about a yr and see how I feel about certain changes then. Maybe by then I won't want to bother with them.

mirrors - shouldn't be too hard to change out if that's what you want to do. Are they just mirrors or medicine cabinets? Maybe it'd be easier and cheaper to just mask off the mirrors, walls, ceiling etc and spray paint the frames?

• pesenjon
    12 years ago

Remodelling a bathroom can be a daunting task, so in my view you need to use expert advice to Remodel bathroom.

Thanks.

• Shira S
    12 years ago

Where did my post go???

Anyway, is there a reason you want to lose all the closet space? Moving toilets is expensive. I would just do this: {{gwi:1391909}}From Upstairs Bathroom

If you show your door swings, I'll try other plans. I wasn't 100% sure which way they went.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Umm...think your post should be in a different thread?

Pesension -- I am getting expert advice. I had a contractor out to look at the bathroom today. And, of course, I am asking for ideas/feedback from the people here. But, the actual work that will be done will be done by someone knowledgeable....I'm just posting here to get ideas.

The contractor, FWIW, doesn't really like the split linen cabinets (I agree) so we are probably doing to move the vanity area down near the tub and have the linen cabinet at the other end.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Good for your contractor. That was my comment. I don't like that your linen cabinet blocks all the light coming in from that window. Getting rid of that will fix that issue and make the room feel more open.

• Shira S
    12 years ago

That is so strange LOL. Sorry about that :-D