Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khmdm_gw

Master bathroom/closet layout

khmdm
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are trying to work out a master bedroom, bathroom, closet renovation/addition. The entrance location to the master area at the bottom of the stairs is fixed in location.

I am having trouble with the tradeoffs and trying to have everything (of course). I have two designs from our architect. In the first one I was struggling with the wall unit on the side wall so she moved it across from the bed. But that put the entrance to the closet in the bathroom and I think cuts some of the space in the closet and moved the toilet.

The plan has an entry to the bedroom as a transition from the main living area but that also takes away possible closet space on the other side.

Thoughts? Should I give up the wall unit in the bedroom to get more closet space? Or is there a way to re-work the bathroom layout?

Comments (6)

• khmdm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the revised version from the architect.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I like the revised version much better. I think it gives you a much better flow and look. I would suggest either change the swing of the bathroom doors so that they open into the bedroom or flip the shower and toilet locations. Actually, I might would opt to do both--flipping shower and toilet would actually give anyone using the toilet a bit more privacy and you wouldn't have to worry about hitting anyone/anything with the bathroom door. Another option on the door would be to put in a pocket door that slides to the left if you're standing in the bedroom facing the bathroom. It would require some extra framing, but I think it could work nicely.

Hope this helps!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I like the second version better also. I don't understand the purpose of the double door entry to the bathroom though. I had double doors to my master bedroom once, and we kept one of the doors closed all the time. I would have preferred a single door and more wall space.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

Actually, I like the double doors into the bathroom if she keeps the toilet where it's at. It hides the toilet and I would probably leave both bathroom doors open most of the time anyway and the shower would look nice in the corner as drawn, unless you would rather hide it.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

What is the purpose of the wall unit in the hallway that leads to the bedroom door? I got rid of that, so if it's necessary, you can simply ignore my plan.

There are a few things I did:

1) As stated, I got rid of the wall unit in the hallway outside the bedroom door. It does a few things, one of them is increasing your closet space which was one of your complaints. Though I didn;t move it in my rendition, whatever that shelving thing is in the closet, I'd put it on the right closet wall, opposite the "tie rack".

2) I moved the actual bedroom door out to the front of that hallway. Moving the door further away from the bed will help isolate kitchen sounds from transmitting to the sleeping area.

3) I moved the closet entry from the bathroom into that same hallway that is now inside the bedroom. It brings your closet closer to the laundry and increases the usable space in the bathroom.

4) In the bedroom, I lengthened your wall unit that is opposite the bed. I lengthened it on both ends. This made it symmetrical with the bed, and to a slight extent the added storage here may make up for the loss of the wall unit I deleted in the former hallway.

5) I got rid of the double doors into the bathroom.

6) In the bathroom, I moved things around. It's not perfect, but this five minute revamp provides you with a:
    - larger shower
    - pony wall to partially hide the toilet
    - toilet next to a vanity
    - laundry near the bathroom entry door
    - the option of a slightly longer vanity

It may not be what you're looking for, but it's another perspective.

Revamped:

Original:

• khmdm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. And thanks to Mongoct for taking the time to do a new drawing for us to consider.