Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which shower material would be easiest to keep clean???

Posted by aces67 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 21:33

We are replacing our old double shower unit. It's Fiberglass.

We have well water and often get a red scaly build up on the shower from the iron in our water.

This time we are going with Acrylic with innovex, Solid Surface or Ceramic TIle.

Which of these will stand up to a good scrubbing the best or repel the iron scale the easiest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which shower material would be easiest to keep clean???

great question, I also have awful well water; sometimes wish for a cast iron shower. :-)

o

Solid surface, no question.

o

The only problem is the product says it's made from solid surface. NO other details. What does that mean? It's not cheap either. It's a product called Style selections shower walls sold by Lowe's. Just the three walls will be around $2100 without the floor, fixtures, plumbing, etc.

o

We used Porcelanosa tile. Blanco, or white. It is 12x36" tile with very narrow grout lines. We have a water blade and wipe it down after each shower. Looks great. It's worth a look.

o

I have the same problem, so I put in porcelain tile with epoxy grout. It appears to be bomb proof. I scrub with softscrub when needed (not too often), and spray with clorox/water mixture to kill the mold if it grows, then just rinse. I'd never have fiberglass or acrylic shower again.

o

Mold and mildew cannot survive on solid surface. Not even AIDS.

This is probably why it is specified for hospital operating rooms instead of tile or stone.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 7:02

o

I'm planning a bathroom refresh and will be using a solid surface tub/shower surround while keeping the ceramic tile in the rest of the room. I'm basing the choice on my solid surface (Corian) kitchen countertop which looks like new after almost 25 years.

I have a fiberglass shower stall in my second bath. It's about 20 years old and while it hasn't leaked there are a few hairline cracks and the white color seems to have yellowed a bit over the years. It definitely has a cheaper look compared to other surfaces available, IMO.

Can't speak to hard well water since I'm on city (Chicago) water.

o

Slab solid surface. Doesn't matter whether it's low-end cultured marble/granite or high-end Silestone. Non-porous and impervious. No way that any tile even comes close.

My DH says using the solid surface surround was the hands-down best decision we made in our 2003 remodeling.

You can use CLR on the scale with solid surface walls, no problem.

o

I love the CM tub surround in one of our bathrooms. I plan to put the same CM on two walls of a corner shower. Is there some less expensive similar material I can use for the shower pan. This will be about 34 X 34, so not the standard 36 X 36. I want a low curb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here