Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piperward_gw

mongoct, I love your sink!

piperward
16 years ago

Mongo,

I hope that you are out there! I love your bathroom sink, can you tellme the specs? Thanks.

Comments (17)

• thankurnmo
    16 years ago

What piperward said.

Beautiful and well thought out.
    And, I did try looking to see details of your bathroom but could not find any, so if they're there, my apologies.

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Thanks kids!

The sink is a Kohler Memoirs 30" sink. Designed as a pedestal sink, I instead set it on a cabinet.

It's a very nice sink, it has a large bowl, and I like the look of the wide rim as well.

Mongo

• whitneymac
    15 years ago

Mongo, Can you post pics again, please?

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Here you go! It does need a cleaning though:

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Ooops, that was my wife's sink.

Here's my side of the bathroom:

Mongo

• whitneymac
    15 years ago

Perfect! Thanks so much! Beautiful Bathroom. I'm confused though- the tile master has wood floors in his bathroom? I guess you see tile patterns in your sleep and need a break at home...

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Bill is the tile master.

I am in tile kindergarten.

Yup, with the exception of the foyer, the laundry, and the kids' bathroom, I put brazilian cherry over radiant floor heat throughout the house. Except for the attic. When I finished the attic I put bamboo up there.

Mongo

• gramzy
    15 years ago

I love your bathroom. What kind of cabinets are they?

• keepitunder20
    15 years ago

mongo, love your vessel sink and bath. How high is your vanity not including the vessel sink?

Cathy

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Oh you are such a tease! That's gorgeous! Please sir, can we have some more?

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Gramzy,

I built the cabinets myself. 3/4" birch plywood for the carcasses, poplar for the face frames. Doors panels are 1/2" birch ply with poplar frames. Counter tops are teak.

Pretty much all the trim (base through crown) throughout the bathroom is poplar. I made the mirror frame from poplar as well.

Same with the tub deck and apron. Tub deck is teak, the apron poplar.

Mongo

• simoneb
    15 years ago

All I have to say is WOW. I can't believe you made all that. Such talent!

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

keepitunder20,

I missed your question last night.

The countertop itself is about 34-3/4" high, the top of the sink is 4" higher, or 38-3/4" above the floor.

I did a mock-up prior to construction as I thought the top would be too high for my wife. Initially she thought it was too, but after standing in front of the mock-up for a couple of days she realized the added height was really quite nice. Now she absolutely loves the height of the sink. She's 5'1-1/2". I'm 6'4", so the added height is appreciated by me.

To everyone else, thanks for the kind words!

Mongo

• sorriso
    15 years ago

Mongo, what color is your sink?

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Biscuit.

• cambreno
    14 years ago

Hi, I have a question about your bathroom floor.

Is the wood painted? Or is that the brazilian cherry color? I assumed it was painted black. If so, can you tell me what you painted it with and any helpful hints about painting wood floors?

I love your bathroom, it looks great! Thanks for sharing.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

cambreno,

It's not painted. It's not quite as dark as it shows in the photo, but it is a deep red-brown.

Painting a floor? I'm not a professional painter and I've never painted a floor...but hey;
    -clean the floor, wash with tsp to clean and degrease.
    -sand to get a uniform scuff. 150 grit would be fine.
    -thoroughly vac or tack cloth to get rid of the dust and debris
    -Prime. Use an oil/alkyd primer. I Always use alkyd primers on bare wood, latex can raise the grain. Not a big deal if you prefer latex. You can tint the primer to make paint coverage easier. If painting the floor red, tint the primer gray. My generic primer tint is yellow oxide. Let the primer fully dry.
    -light scuff sand, very very light scuff sand. If you sand and your paper is sticking or gummming up, the primer is not fully dry. You'll get a talc-like powder when sanding dried primer. You just want to knock off any dried dust bumps. If you used a latex primer and the grain was raised, you'll need to sand a bit more to knock the grain down.
    -vac, then wipe down with a barely damp cloth.
    -paint, you can use latex or alkyd or even a porch paint.
    -second coat of paint.
    -Your choice, but for durability you can urethane the floor. Gloss urethane is more durable than satin. If you want a satin finish you can do a coat of gloss then a second coat with satin.

The hardest thing to do will be to control dust. So you'll want to minimize air movement through the room while your painting, etc.

For priming and painting, I recommend using a roller, even a 4" mini-roller, for applying the paint to the wood. Wash the roller first, then dry, that'll get rid of any roller lint being planted on your floor. Then backbrush with a good quality brush in the direction of the wood grain.