Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbaker_gw

Need Your Opinion!

Rbaker
11 years ago

Long story short, we're doing a kitchen remodel, and decided last minute to do the bathroom as well. We had a pedestal sink prior, but wanted to have storage for bathroom "stuff" so we had the cabinet maker build a vanity to match the kitchen cabinets. With the pedestal sink in place, the light and mirror were centered in line and looked good. The contractor had to mount the vanity against the wall to leave enough room for someone to use the toilet. Now the light isn't centered over the vanity, and there isn't enough room to move the light to the left to center over it. So, my question is, should I just mount the mirror under the light and live with it uncentered, or should I move the light in to the middle of the room then mount the mirror centered under the light. I held the mirror up and honestly, I really didn't like either... :)

I appreciate your advice and opinions...

Ryan

This post was edited by Rbaker on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:30

Comments (13)

• Rbaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic...

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'd get a smaller light and center it over the vanity.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I'm with Olychick, center a smaller fixture over the vanity and repair the old hole left where the existing light is. In the long run you'd be happier. I love your wall color.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Yes, exactly: get a smaller light and center it over the vanity. In the meantime, you could hang a mirror and live with the light, but I'd center the mirror over the vanity.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

If you cannot center the light over the vanity (not because of its size--that is easily fixed with a smaller fixture--but because of a limitation on that wall like venting behind or something), then get a "bar" light fixture. There are attractive ones. And, center the light part of the fixture over the vanity, but let the bar cover up the light wall outlet...

• Gracie
    11 years ago

It seems odd to not center the light on such a narrow wall. If you center it over the vanity, I think only a single light will fit. Is that enough light for you? It's hard to picture the light and mirror crowded on one side.

Would it be crazy to center the light on the wall and fill the space over the vanity and toilet with a mirror? It's already an unconventional configuration of vanity and toilet, so maybe you can break some rules. Does anyone think that could work?

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I was thinking that whole wall should have a mirror that goes over both the toilet and vanity.

I'd prefer a fun chandelier hanging from the ceiling personally. But centering a light above a larger mirror would be my preference.

• Rbaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. We're leaning towards centering the light and having the cabinet make build a matching frame I can install a mirror in. I'm thinking about something large that will center under the mirror, but dominate the wall.

How does that sound?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I think that light fixture would look fine centered. Perhaps a large oval mirror in the center of the wall would look nice and not reflect back too much of the male anatomy.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I'm not sure I'd do a wood frame. A metal frame might look better than adding more wood in such a small space. How close to the walls do you plan to take the mirror?

Edit: It's hard to tell with the shadows, but I think your cabinet disappears into your paint color. You might want to look at the "big picture" as you proceed.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 8:15

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I happened to come across this photo on Houzz. The entire space is mirrored with the light installed into the mirror. I had thought about suggesting this. Notice that they off-centered the light and it does look strange.

• marleycat25
    11 years ago

Does this pic help? I have the same set up...a two light fixture centered over mirror and vanity works perfectly

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I like your idea.

option 1 - same light centered on wall above vanity AND toilet over larger mirror above vanity AND toilet

option 2 - smaller light centered over small mirror centered only over vanity

I would prefer option 1 myself but either of these would work, IMO.

FYI - Home depot has a 48 inch wide Pegasus brand medicine cabinet (3 panels/doors) that would really open up that small space and also give you more storage. (option for 26 inch height or 30 inch height)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022