Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nymommy_gw

Marble subway tile mixed with white ceramic in tub area????

nymommy
14 years ago

Hi all, I spent quite a few months in the kitchen forums now I am hopping over to the bathroom forums. OK, so I have fallen in love with the 3x6 honed marble tile (the $&/sq foot from buildersdepotdirect)but I have heard over and over again that it just isn't practical in a tub area especially since this is our only full bath that we are sharing with 5 people (Me, hubby, and 3 kids). Has anyone ever used the marble on the walls then used a plain white 3x6 subway tile in the bath area. I am thinking it wouldn't really be too much of a big deal since it will be mostly covered in the tub area. But I just LOVE that marble and I can't learn to love anything else. Any input would be great or even pics. Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• sawmill
    14 years ago

Hi,

I actually posted photos earlier today in the Gallery of our bathroom with brushed marble walls in 12" squares in the shower/vanity areas, coupled with 3x6 ceramic subway tiles in the tub area. Just did not want the same tile in both places. Hope that helps.

• betagirlearth
    14 years ago

Get what you love.

Horizontal surfaces with marble require more attention. You have to watch what you spill etc, but you can do it. I have it on the walls and floor and it is just fine. Someone did put a vinegar soaked cloth on the floor of the bath and that had to be dealt with, but you are not putting the marble on floor or countertop.

If the subway and marble look great then do it and enjoy!

• nymommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I figured the marble would probably be OK on the walls but I don't want to cheapen the look of the bathroom by mixing the ceramic tile in also. I was looking for a picture online with that look but I can't seem to find anything. Thanks!

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

There is a huge variety of porcelain and ceramic tiles. And many different whites. I would highly recommend getting a ton of sample tiles and laying them out near your marble subway tile. That way you can find a tile that looks just right for you. I think overall mixing the marble and the ceramic tile will look lovely, as long as you carefully choose a white that compliments the marble. Not sure if you're tiling the floor, but if you are, perhaps you could do your white ceramic on the floor as well and do a trim around the room in the marble. I think this might help tie the tiles together so that the marble looks like a special feature you've added in as an accent.

• Jeannine
    14 years ago

What have you heard about marble that is making you think it shouldn't go in the tub area?

I have a friend who is Turkish and she laughed when I first expressed worry about my marble subways. Europe is full of marble bathrooms and no one frets about it the way we do here.

Seal it once a year. Clean it with the proper cleaner. You'll be fine. :)

My bathroom, just for fun:
    {{gwi:1400810}}

• nymommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeannine, I LOVE your bathroom!!!! I guess I have heard that you really have to watch everyhting you put on it, you can't spray cleaners on it etc. This will be our only full bath being shared by 5 people and my son is three and pees everywhere! I guess I just want to be able to live in it without having to stress about it staining all the time. Also, I don't really want to put marble on the floor for the same reasons so then I don't know what I could put on the floor that would look good with the marble on the walls. Ughh, decisions!

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

nymommy, here's a blog post that shows a mixed ceramic and marble bath. I think it looks pretty good - so good, in fact, that I plan on doing this in our loft guest bath (which is microscopically tiny!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramic and Marble Bath

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz