Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miller88_gw

randolph morris tubs?

miller88
13 years ago

Hi all, we are about to do some work on our mb, and are going to get either a pedestal or clawfoot tub. Has anyone had any experience with the Randolph Morris tubs that are sold at vintage tub and bath? Or, any other recommendations? Also - I've searched the forums on acrylic vs cast iron, but most of the posts seem to relate to built in tubs. Does anyone have any opinions on what works better for a stand-alone tub? TIA!

Comments (17)

• amy2202
    13 years ago

Miller88, I was just curious what tub you selected. We have decided to go with a 68" pedestal double ended tub. We just can not decide on acrylic or cast iron. I was also interested to see any feedback on the tubs from Vintage tubs.

• cuisinemom
    13 years ago

I'm bumping because I have the same questions. I don't think we can do cast iron because of the weight. We're probably going with a pedestal tub so it won't have metal feet.
    Specifically, I'm wondering about the difference in heat retention.

• amy2202
    13 years ago

We are still waiting for some responses also. Hope some one can come back with feedback soon.

• User
    13 years ago

Try googling "cast iron versus acrylic tub gardenweb" There have been many discussions on this in the past and with the current amount of traffic on this board you will probably get more info by looking it up instead of waiting around for answers.

Here is a link that might be useful: one discussion that mentions heat retention

• skatermom
    13 years ago

We are deciding on tubs too and I think we might go with a victoria and albert tub. Some of them are not too expensive. They are made with volcanic limestone and are supposed to be really comfy and retain heat well.

Our other choice is an acrylic stand alone by MTI, the Andrea- it comes with radiant heat on the bottom and back.

Good luck!

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I've been 'soft-shopping' tubs for years in anticipation of our 'someday' master bath remodel --

And I'd have to say I've come to agree with Athomeinva about the acyllic tubs just not looking as great as cast iron in freestanding models. There *may be* a few exceptions, but I've always found the acryllic rims to be problematic when stepping into and out of the tub. In other words, when you place your hand on the rim to step in/out, there always seems to be this semi-sharp edge that interferes with the sensual pleasure of stepping into a warm tub. Plus, there's just a 'light-weight plastic' quality that doesn't sit right with the more 'substantial' feel I think these tubs need. Somehow, when dropped in or undermounted, those problems are minimized...

The freestanding tubs I have come to love are the Victoria & Albert (and similar) cast-stone or solid-surface models. From what I've seen and heard, they get great reviews for heat retention as well as durability, and the hand-feel is fabulous. Price and weight are more than acryllic, but substantially less than cast iron.

• jmcgowan
    13 years ago

I'm not able to comment on the Robert Morris tubs, but agree with previous posters' comments, particularly re: Victoria and Albert tubs.

I am shopping for a free standing tub for our master bathroom, too. I'm leaning toward not getting an air tub (although I hear they're fabulous, especially the ones from Bain Ultra). If you are looking for a freestanding, traditional-looking air tub, check out the Bain Ultra Balneo (sp?) -- search on "kateskouros" -- she has one and has posted photos, and it looks fantastic. These are acrylic, and most people agree they do not retain heat well unless you are using a heated backrest or running the air (which I think retains the heat somehow through the operation, but you should double-check this). Everyone that I've spoken to about the Victoria and Albert tubs agrees that they will retain heat much better if you're using the tub as a pure soaking tub. They sell many classic looking tubs.

We have not made a purchase yet, but you should be able to purchase these tubs for at least 25% off their retail prices. You can check out a site such as irawoods.com to get some initial pricing if you're trying to stay within a certain dollar range.

Good luck!

• rtwill
    12 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether.

• claybabe
    12 years ago

DARN you, Sweeby: Always there with the THIRD, perfect choice and excellent reasoning why I ought to consider it....Thank you, as usual :)

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Happy to help! It's always a pleasure to spend someone else's money ;-)

• newhome4us
    11 years ago

We too are interested in a clawfoot tub...but I think I have changed my mind to a pedestal tub from Vintage Tubs a Randolph morris 66" double ended. So all those out there that have cast iron....and have a randolph morris of any type and their faucets....I would love to hear what you think.

• flynnnj
    11 years ago

What was your final decision? Did you get a tub from Randolph Morris - If so, have you been happy with it?

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

we have had one of these tubs for a couple years now...very good quality - purchased a package with the faucet.
    The cast iron is thick, porcelain coating flawless. Delivery free to your door. Great value. We are planning on purchasing a second tub package for another bath redo this year.

one note - these things are HEAVY - 400 lbs dry so make sure your floor can handle the weight. And that you have some way of getting it into your house. It was no small task getting it up to our upstairs bathroom.
    Caspian

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

Does anyone know which brands of the new cast iron tubs have no lead in them? Specifically wondering about Randolph Morris, but looking for a 72" tub that is safe for my kids to bathe in. Thanks!

• stevea1960
    6 years ago

I have a 1931 vintage Randolph Morris cast iron tub that needs feet. I am assuming it is Randolph Morris because it has a stamp on the underneath side above the date of 3-4-31 that is a "R" inside a circle. It resembles a brand. Anyone have ideas where feet can be found? Thanks.

• pjecfe
    4 years ago

stevea1960
    Did you find feet to fit your RM tub?
    I need some for a RM tub.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!