Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsg1104

shower door handles

TSG1104
11 years ago

I think we've almost reached a decision on a shower door company. One of the questions I have for them tomorrow is what options they have for the shower door handles. Their website lists that a 8" "C" shaped pull is standard, but it doesn't list any other options. If they don't have any other options, then I'm going to ask if I can supply the handles. I thought about changing them later, but this doesn't seem to be a standard size that I could just substitute out later.

Our bath is very traditional and I would prefer something more traditional or, at the least, very simple vertical bars. I'm not finding much online and what I have found is $200+. I had no idea that shower door handles would be so expensive.

Any suggestions for sources? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

I'll have to try to look up the manufacturer, but the frameless door we ordered from our local glass store had the option of a range of door handles. We, too, wanted something more traditional, and found this one, which goes beautifully with the Grohe Somerset fixtures and Ginger Empire accessories in the bath. We love it -- will try to find the name, but I know that there was a board with a handle styles mounted on it that they had at the store. We just chose the one we wanted.

• TSG1104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sweeby - I'll discuss that with my husband. We are using glass knobs and pulls on the vanity, but I'm not sure if I would want to carry that look over to the shower door or not. I wonder though if I couldn't find a large drawer pull for much less than the shower door pulls though.

ctlady - I really like your pull.

This place is about $500 less than our other quotes. It seems they have a more limited selection and buy in quantity. He walked me through how we could use a standard door size to keep our costs down. I don't know why, but I just have a feeling they are going to have limited or no other options.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Sweeby, I'd love to see a picture of what you did... it sounds cool!

Hopefully KevinMP(sp?) will see this and post a picture and details of his shower door handle. He has a beautiful traditional bathroom with very handsome hardware, including a vertical shower door handle.

I first saw our shower door handle at a local bath showroom and determined that it was made by U.S. Horizon/CRL. I asked my shower door fabricator to order it for me and he included it with no upcharge from their usual handle options. I love it for its sculptural shape. They like it also and ordered it in chrome for their showroom display.

There's no need to settle for ordinary if that's not what you want!

• goldstox
    11 years ago

I bought this Kohler PinStripe handle. I love it.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I have the same one as goldstox (and thank you, Treasure):

{{gwi:1395554}}

{{gwi:1400775}}

{{gwi:1400776}}

{{gwi:1400777}}

• goldstox
    11 years ago

Kevin MP. I must admit, I saw your handle here first and I copied you. Lol.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Remember , what ever you have done is permanent as Shower Doors must be tempered glass and any holes must be drilled before the glass is tempered!

• TSG1104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Kohler pinstripe handle is fabulous. But, we are at the end of our reno and over budget so I don't think I could get my husband to agree to a $200 shower handle.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I know how you feel. It's amazing how quickly it all adds up. I hope you'll post pictures of your completed bath... we love pictures!

• TSG1104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was right that the options were kind of limited, but I did find one that I liked and it is more, but less than any of the ones I was looking at buying myself. I'm trying to attach a photo, but this is my first attempt so I hope it works.

• ShellKing
    11 years ago

I think you ended up with a great choice!

I love my shower door handle. It's definitely bigger and more substantial than a drawer pull -- and it's double sided.

• sweeby
    11 years ago

Sorry - don't have any photos. But ANY medium to large cabinet pull that is water resistant can work. I've done two so far - the first in ORB, and the second in crystal. The crystal pulls were a bit smaller and narrow at the base, so they needed back plates to look their best -- but in every case a whole heck of a lot less than $200. (Yikes!)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

TSG, I think that one looks great... very similar to the style of ShellKing's. Can't wait to see your finished pictures!

• TSG1104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ShellKing - Thanks for the picture. Much better seeing a real one installed.

sweeby - Thanks for the information on using a cabinet pull. I'm sure I could save a little more money if we went that route, but I am going with the option they have for the sake of time. My husband did a lot of the work on this on nights and weekends and it has been dragging on since October. I really want to get back in my bedroom and bathroom as soon as possible.

They came out for the measurements today and we should have it installed the middle of next week.

Now I need to find a painter. We briefly discussed doing it ourselves but I loathe painting. We also want to do the adjacent master bedroom and another bedroom so we've decided to hire someone to get it all knocked out in a few days. We are in the home stretch, but I still feel like it may never end.

• paul123-2010
    10 years ago

We have a few link to shower door handles of all shapes, sizes and finishes ranging from $20 to $300.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardware options

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Here is what we selected. Contemporary square style.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 or 8

This post was edited by Babka on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 23:23

• allegradesign
    8 years ago

I know this is an old conversation, but advice needed! I really want shower door pulls to match the Moen Align grab bars and Cifial techno faucet I installed (which look similar). But I can't find any that look remotely like these! Sweeby: your idea of pulls is great, but can't find those matching either. Would it be possible to adapt an ordinary towel bar as a shower door pull? Or is the hardware too different?

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

Hardware is different. All the glass guy needs to know is where the pull will be and what size hole to drill in the glass. They do not need the parts right away just this info.

The door gets cut and polished then gets sent out to be tempered. Once this is don you can not change anything.

I prefer a "D" shaped pull verses a "C" shaped handle.

have you looked at C.L. lawerence?

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Close maybe? CRL PULL