Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wooddb

Bonus Room Bathroom

woodDB
10 years ago

I'm reposted this here since I originally posted this in the kitchen forums by mistake....

I'm finishing a bonus room located above our garage. It has hvac, electrical & plumbing for a bathroom roughed in and I'm getting ready to add drywall.

The sketch below shows my plan for the bathroom/closet which has a total floor space of 5'6" x 12' (bathroom is about 5.5"x5.5"). The stud wall with the bathroom door (adj to sink) is already in. I plan to divide the space by adding the wall w/ the closet door but have a couple questions.

1) Would it be a mistake to use a 24" door leading the storage area? The plan shows a 28" closet door but after measuring a second time, I realized I would need to push the wall out 5" to give the door enough clearance from the vaulted ceiling.

2) Does it make sense to have the closet door centered on the wall or would it be better to position it closer to the outer wall (across from the throne) to maximize wall space?

Any suggestions would be great....

Thanks....

Comments (6)

• gmp3
    10 years ago

Is there enough clearance to have it open in towards the bath, with hinges on the left, so you could get stuff in, if it opens inward into the closet you will have trouble getting stuff behind the door.

This post was edited by gmp3 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 21:52

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Same advice as above in the kitchen forum too. Is there a reason you were wanting to swing it into the closet? It doesn't make sense to the rest of us.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Since you have 66" of wall space, why not install a pocket door? Then you can have your 28" door (easier to bring stuff into closet/store room), and still have ~30" of wall space on one side in each room. You then also don't need to worry about clearing the vaulted ceiling. What are planning on using the closet for? Is this for a bedroom, or just for added closet space?

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

If you have the door as shown in the drawing; hinged on the left and swinging into the closet, it does make more sense to move the door to the left, so it's across from the toilet.

That way the inswing of the door will put the open door right against the left wall and leave you with an "L" shaped storage area against the back and right walls of the closet.

With the door centered in the wall, access to the space between the open door and the left wall could be difficult.

You can go with a 24" door. Or a pocket door unless you already discounted that idea. Or bifold doors, although I'm not a big fan of those. Or even a 28" clipped corner door, but that would be a custom door and a custom frame for the door.

Or as the others wrote, if the swing doesn't bother you, you could reverse the swing of the door and have it open into the bathroom.

• woodDB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies... and my apologies again for the double post..

This room will be my home office/den/man cave... It sits above the garage and has access through a door off the upstairs hallway. The closet will be used mostly to store some skiing/fishing gear.

The reason I had the door swing into the closet was completely aesthetic. To me, it seemed like the best approach to have doors open into the area they lead to ... Having the door open into the bathroom is much more practical and based on the responses seems to be completely acceptable so I will go this route.

I also like the the idea of having the door on the edge of the wall (across from the toilet). I have about 68" between the wall w/ the closet door and the wall the toilet is against. It will be a tight fit but manageable.

Last question... The cold air return will be in the bathroom side. After I put the wall up, I'll essentially close off the closet from the HVAC system. Since its above the garage, I'm already dealing w/ higher heat/cold. Would it be good to add a vent from the closet to the bathroom to help air movement or will I need an HVAC company come in to install ducts?

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Why is your cold air return in your bathroom? This is a room that is never recommended for a cold air return (too much moisture). Besides, the cold air return should be as central on each level as possible.
    Do you have a fan in that bathroom?
    As far as the closet, is it insulated? If so, you probably could put a vent from the closet to the bathroom, but I would check with an HVAC expert and follow his advice.