Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clawfoot Tub Made in USA

Posted by arc2v (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 20:52

Hi all,
We're starting a bathroom remodel later this year and are just starting to research fixtures, sinks, toilets, etc. We decided on a clawfoot tub, as it's going into a traditional colonial farmhouse design.

We're also on a buy American first kick (when possible) and after that avoiding China if possible (again, when possible -- try buying a toaster not made in China).

Anyway, finding country of origin on many websites has been super difficult.

We like a lot of the tubs on Signature Hardware and Vintage Tub, but again, country of origin has been difficult to find.

Anyone know of brands that are still made in the USA?

Thanks for the help,
Anthony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clawfoot Tub Made in USA

Consider buying a vintage tub and restoring it. Reuse and all that... We are happy with the one we restored, but it doesn't get that much use.

o

We started looking at salvage in our area. There are quite a few at the local shops. Outside is in horrible shape, inside in great shape.

When we get closer to demo and such, we'll shop prepared to take one home (meaning borrowing a bigger car).

Still wondering if anyone makes on new in the US, though.

o

I know nothing whatever about the quality, but Restoria tubs are made in the US:

Here is a link that might be useful: restoria at vintage tubs

o

The claw foot tub originated here in the USA. Kohler and American Standard are the two companies that started producing them back in the late 1800's. They still make them, but their selection in cast iron has become much smaller. People don't buy cast iron tubs like they used to. Acrylic tubs are cheaper and most people don't know any better.

As golddust suggested, you may have better luck finding a used cast iron tub. They are commonly discarded, or even worse smashed with a sledge hammer because they are difficult to remove in one piece.

Kohler also has like 5 different company names. Kallista is their high end bathtubs.

o

Here is another source for tubs (this is where I bought mine). I don't know where they are made but they are easy to contact for email and phone questions.http://www.vandykes.com/bath/c/312/

o

Thanks all. Good info here.

I'll keep an eye on Restoria, the stuff at Van Dykes, and look for the various Kohler stuff (as well as vintage stuff). Sadly there aren't a lot of salvage places close to us. 1 hr minimum drive, but we'll make a day of it and go on the hunt.

Thanks again all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here