Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

powder room progress pics

worldmom
15 years ago

It's just a little 'ol powder room, but I am in love with this tiny space! I'm especially fond of the paint color we used. It's not too dark, not too light, not too pastel, and just the right amount of gray. I love, love, love it!

Tomorrow the tile is supposed to get grouted, and then all that's left is the toilet and sink install, putting in the crown moulding, putting in the towel ring and tp holder, and the painting of the new door trim on the inside of the bathroom. (We carved this space from a coat closet, the inside of which didn't have the same nice trim as the rest of the house.)

I hope to post "finished" pics soon!

From Last Import
From Last Import
From Last Import

Comments (27)

• msfidget
    15 years ago

worldmom,
    the pics look great!
    can you tell me a little about your floor and wall tiles?

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, msfidget. :o)

The floor is unglazed 1" hex from Dal-Tile. The white wall tile is all American Olean in arctic white, and the black pencil liners are Dal-Tile.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Classic, elegant, pretty, and fun all at once. Now, you raved about the paint color, but didn't tell the name...
    :-)

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, rhome!

The paint is BM Feather Gray. Did I mention I love it? ;o)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Love how you did the floor. Did the tiles come like that or is the design custom?

• redroze
    15 years ago

I can see why you love it. It's so pretty!! I like that shade of blue, combined with the black trim with the white subway tiles, and those cute black daisies on the floor. Stunning.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I love the color and is that a marble threshold in the doorway? All of it is very pretty!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Really nice job...great choices! Really nice that you
    got this space from a coat closet!
    vic

• furletcity
    15 years ago

I want one!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

That looks great! I'm really partial to light grayish blues, and that's a very pretty and soothing color.

• slateberry
    15 years ago

love the push-button switches, love the medicine cabinet, love the...heck I'll save your time and just say I LOVE IT ALL!

Just curious--you used a lot of dal-tile products, but then used american olean for the subways. I'm shopping both lines, any insight as to why you chose one or the other would be appreciated.

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

slateberry,

The Dal-Tile hexes were left over from our master bath project 2 years ago, so we just used what we had. (The guy at Sherwin Williams who ordered them for us accidentally ordered way too much).

We went with AO on the walls because it was the least expensive of the two. All the wall tiles came from Lowes, and the subways were a mere $.22 apiece, or $1.32 a foot. We got a quote for Dal-Tile's Rittenhouse Square subways, and they were going to run us $6 something. I have a Rittenhouse Square sample board here at the house, and there is no discernible difference in quality to me. The deco tiles aren't exactly the same, but very similar, and again, appear similar in quality.

We like the AO tiles so much that we're considering putting them in our kitchen, rather than the $13.50/ft subways we were planning on. Honestly, unless you're looking for a handmade tile look, I don't think you can beat these!

• na_praha
    15 years ago

Beautiful, worldmom! Can't wait to see the finished product. We're putting the Home Depot equivalent of your AO subway tiles (made by Dal-Tile, which I think is actually owned by the same company) in our downstairs bath as we speak and although the actual tiling process has been a bear, the results are gorgeous. You're right, it's hard to go wrong with 22 cents a tile.

• sherri_09
    15 years ago

Worldmom, your powder bath is looking gorgeous!!The floor is phenomenal!Could you please post a pic that shows more of your master bath floor? Thanks!

• norasnews
    15 years ago

I am in love with that floor!

I wonder did your tiler have any problems making the flowers? Was it simply peeling one white hex off the web, and sticking a colored one in it's place??

Anything more complicated than that?

Also, did they charge you more for labor for the grouting? As opposed to the normal 4x4 or 6x6 floor tiles, that it?? Are hex's more labor intensive?

Also: do you mind me asking sq ft price of the hex? We are on a 4.00 budget, and I know the subway will be less.. but I am wondering how much higher the floor will go?

TIA

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sherri - will do. In fact, I think I posted one here in the bath forum not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Norasnews - I think the tile for the floor was around $8.00 a foot when we bought it two years ago, but it has come down a lot since then. (Our flooring is left over from our master bath floor). I've seen it (the white, anyway) at Home Depot, and I don't remember the cost, but I remember thinking, "Wow, that's a lot less than we paid." :o)

I think part of the reason ours was in that price range was because we ordered it with the "daisies" in place. It would be a very simple thing, though, to order sheets of white and a few black ones and pop the daisies in yourself. If your contractor was going to charge extra for that, you can just hot glue them in. That's what our contractor did for us when our border for our master bath came in put together wrong.

As far as the question about the labor charge for grouting, I'm not sure what is typically done. Our tile guy is one of our best friends, and I know in spite of our asking him to charge us as he does everyone else, he never does. It's useless trying to debate it with him. ;o) Bill V here in the forum would probably be able to answer that question better. Since the tiles come on a sheet, I would think it would be a little easier to install than single, larger tiles, but that's just my guess.

I hope to be able to post finished pics today!

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sherri,

Here is a pic of the master bath before it was finished, but of the pics I have access to, it shows the border the best.

From Last Import

You can see a little of it in this finished pic, too

From Last Import

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll start a new post once we have everything in the bathroom (a toilet paper holder, for instance!), but here's our nearly-done powder room. I love it. :o)

From Last Import
    From Last Import

• nutherokie_gw
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness. I love, love your powder room and your master bath floor is so gorgeous it's painful!

I hope later you'll give a review of your new powder room fixtures. Aren't those the Kohler Bancroft sink and toilet? Really pretty. I'm dying to use them but I can't find any reviews of that toilet and I'm kind of nervous about the 1.6 flush.

• elizgonz
    15 years ago

Oh my! They are both lovely. I thought I loved the powder room, which I do, but then I saw the master...

You made excellent choices.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Love your master bath, too! That little cupboard in between the sinks is gorgeous and such a simple, but great, idea. The brown paint is a yummy color.

• sherri_09
    15 years ago

Worldmom,Thanks so much for posting the pic of your master bath floor-I love,love,love it!! I saw a pic of your master bath in another thread and seriously thought it was an inspiration pic! Now I'm in love w/your master bath and powder bath-great job!!

• norasnews
    15 years ago

Thanks for the detail on the flooring! I LOVE your master .. so gorgeous..

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Love your master bath, too! That little cupboard in between the sinks is gorgeous and such a simple, but great, idea. The brown paint is a yummy color.

• norasnews
    15 years ago

Can you please tell me the name of your master sink... I will look for a Finished Bathroom Forum, but not sure if that exists!!

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

norasnews - They are American Standard "Retrospect" console sinks. You can get metal or wood bases for them. See them here.

rhome and sherri - thank you! :o)

• orchid-fan
    15 years ago

Were your medicine cabs and master standing cab custom made? If not, can you provide info on makers and distributors?

Both your master and powder room are gorgeous.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County