Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Will this vanity go with my vision? .....

threeapples
12 years ago

Our house is a Georgian very historic looking design and the powder room off the foyer will have antiqued black and white checkerboard marble. The room is only 6 x 6 so we can't fit the beautiful (and too expensive) Kallista console sink so I'm desperate to find another option as soon as possible. Anyway, I'd like to have a really pretty interesting wallpaper and an ornate mirror (maybe a Venetian style) and crystal wall sconces on either side. So, I'd love suggestions here about whether this vanity is too heavy looking, too cheap looking (it's not solid wood on the sides), or it just isn't the right fit for my room. I don't like pedestal sinks so that option is out. I was thinking for this vanity I'd do a carerra marble top and maybe a hammered silver sink basin. Any thoughts? thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: vanity

Comments (7)

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

IMO, that vanity is a little clean and modern looking for what you have in mind. Have you tried going to houzz.com and selecting powder rooms, or you can also select "style" from the left side navigation. You might get some good ideas...

Your home sounds lovely.

I know you didn't ask about this but FWIW I will never put wallpaper in a powder room again. We had a leak from the upstairs bathroom and it ruined the wallpaper in the bathroom. Also, teh towel ring sits on the wall and it has gotten dirty over the years. But then again, I live with an 8 year old boy so...take it with a grain of salt.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Powder Rooms on Houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/powder-room-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_713)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Andreadeg,

Thanks. We have two toddlers so thanks for the tip about wallpaper! I will definitely reconsider.

Yes, I do agree that this vanity is rather streamlined. I've browsed houzz incessantly, but cannot find in retail what I'm looking for. I also need to decide the placement of the vanity asap and it's all becoming super overwhelming for such a tiny room.

thanks! :)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

threeapples, I think it could work especially if you go with the marble top & silver hammered sink you spoke of above. You might consider changing out the pulls for glass or crystal ones to dress it up a little. Top it with a fancy faucet and you're set.

I know you said you didn't like a pedestal sink, but it is just a powder room and not a full on bathroom where storage is essential. One of my inspiration pics sounds similar to what you describe--venetian mirror flanked by crystal sconces, wallpaper (this one was a light silvery grey with a slightly darker victorian pattern on it). It had a pedestal sink that went magnificently with that room. I don't have the pic anymore since our house is finished, but I am pretty sure it was this one from Danze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danze Pedestal Sink

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

A console sink might work well in a small space.

I've been happy with the wallpaper in my powder room in spite of ten years of attacks by children. I've had to patch over one part where someone tore a loose edge - that's why you keep the remnants - but smudges wipe off.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Which Kallista console sink won't work, threeapples? It seems that if you have the space for the vanity, you should have the space for the console sink? What piece am I missing?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Michael Smith For Town sink is 36" wide, which is a little bit too large for our sink (we measured in the room yesterday). So we need something narrower and I'm having a tough time making a decision with a style, material, and obviously also the placement in the room of the sink and the toilet.

I was thinking along the lines you presented with changing the hardware. Perhaps I'd get an antique brass set and put it on the vanity.

I'm looking for a hammered silver sink and can't find one less than a few hundred dollars, which is quite a bit considering I also need to have marble fabricated for the top of the vanity and buy a faucet.

I'm off to search.....

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I wonder if the wood vanity will look ok centered on a 6 ft wall. Do vanities like this look best built-in ? What would I put on each side if we centered it? Thanks

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!