Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_789

What is minimum comfortable size for double vanity?

Tim_789
12 years ago

I'm getting ready to turn an 8x10 bedroom into a new master bath. The way I have it laid out now, I only have room for a 54" vanity. Is that big enough for two sinks? I don't see many for sale smaller than 60". I'll be building the vanities myself, so availability is not a problem - just worried about whether it will be too tight for Mrs. Tim and me.

Thanks for any opinions!

Tim

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

54" is not too tight for two sinks, but it will leave you with little counter space. I grew up with a 60" vanity and two sinks and it quickly became adapted into a one-sink vanity with a tray placed over one sink--used to hold cosmetics and such. You may be better off with one off centered sink and counterspace to one side, and mirror over the whole counter, not just the sink. 54" means you could be knocking elbows at two sinks.

While it is likely in the only bath that you may both be using the mirror and counter area at the same time, will you using sinks simultaneously? The answer may be yes, but it is something that should be analyzed. Most people don't seem to be at the same point of getting ready at the exact same time, although you both may need counter and mirror at the same time.

If you *really* need two sinks you could consider one standard sized sink and one very small one for toothbrushing or whatever. (They used to make toothbrushing sinks). Kallista carries a small undermount sink (10x7) with no overflow for applying make-up that is also expensive (Lists at $495, although I doubt people pay that).

Another thing I have found, through asking is that many people seem to brush their teeth in the morning in the powder room closest to the kitchen before heading out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbara Barry Sink

• suero
    12 years ago

Can you post your layout? Maybe people here can come up with other possibilities that will give you enough room to be comfortable with two sinks.

• Tim_789
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many thanks for the suggestions - some great ideas and things to think about. Suero, I'll do my best to post my layout as soon as I can.

thanks, Tim

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Or, depending on the style of your room, you could do one large sink.

{{gwi:1400258}}

• patty512
    12 years ago

olychick,
    Do you know the manufacturer of the sink in your posting?
    I am looking for something like the one in the picture.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Patty, I copied the pic from signature hardware site. If you don't find it there, let me know and I'll look again. I think I originally googled trough sinks.

• patty512
    12 years ago

Oly,
    Thanks so much just found it.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

There are code minimums you might need to be aware of too. We have a 54" vanity. And, it is tight with two sinks. But, it isn't in an alcove. If it were in an alcove, it would be too tight.

The code (some code) states that there has to be minimum 15" from wall (at end of a vanity) to the center of the drain of a sink. So, with an alcove configuration, you have 30" dedicated to wall to drain space leaving only 24" of drain to drain space. If your sinks are round, you can see how that doesn't leave much (if any) space between sinks.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz