Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykinteriors

finished! Green vanity, marble basketweave, hex niche

shanghaimom
12 years ago

We just finished our bathroom/laundry room combo. I'm so happy to have a bathtub back! Our house was built in 1889 and I have tried to keep a vintage feel in the bathrooms.

I was able to answer most of my questions with a good search, but definitely used all of the beautiful "finished bath" photos for inspiration. I discovered that "shower niches" aka "shampoo niches" are a bugger to find good photos of, so I'm including a pic of that! I used some leftover kitchen backsplash tile and let the tile guy go to town.

Kohler Memoirs sink, toilet, and shower combo.

Hampton Carerra basketweave floor tile from the Tile Shop

Calacatta Gold vanity countertop

White subways, baseboard and wainscot trim also Tile Shop

Comments (40)

• eks6426
    12 years ago

Oh, very pretty! You did a great job. I would love to know about your faucets..they look both vintage and modern at the same time.

Is the hex tile 2" size? It looks nice!

• aiallega
    12 years ago

Your bathroom just went into my inspiration file for my bathroom remodel! Gorgeous.

• tina_ma
    12 years ago

I love your new bathroom! Wonderful sink shape, and that's a very cool light fixture on the ceiling. Love love love your basketweave floor (is it polished?) and subway tiles; you did a great job choosing trim too. I was impressed with the tile samples I ordered from the Tile Shop; I wish there were a store closer than 3 states away to visit! Thanks for posting the detailed niche picture; it will surely help my tile guy when he comes to create one for me. Question, though; what did you use for the marble on the shelves?

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

So nice!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all!
    tina ma, yes, the floors are polished. We have something similar in another bathroom and it has worn very well. The tile guy got Carrera niche shelves from his supplier--I think they are thresholds, actually. They were about 30" wide and he cut it into shorter pieces. The edges have a nice bevel.

eks2456, the sink faucet is Pfister "Carnegie." It might be sold thru Ferguson's only.(?) I liked Kohler's "Margaux" and "Pinstripe" but they were so expensive! The Carnegie was about half the price and feels wonderfully heavy. I love it. It goes well with the Kohler Memoirs shower suite we did. (Wanted a handheld.) The hex tiles are 3".

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

What a beautiful bathroom! I think you achieved a nice balance of vintage and modern. I think the stool is a great touch and my compliments to your tile guy on the awesome niche. Enjoy!!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

That's where my towels can go! Thank you.
    Renee

• s.scoop
    12 years ago

woooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    looks aaammmaaaazizziiinng!!! very nice job!

Here is a link that might be useful: קר××ק×"

• positano
    12 years ago

Oh wow, I love it!I was going to do the 2" hex floor tiles from the tile shop. But DH said no since kids are using this bathroom. In the other bath that you put the marble floor in, did kids use it?

Did you use grout from the tile shop too? If so what color for the subway and basket weave?

Just gorgeous! What color is the vanity? Did you choose the paint color?

Enjoy!

• positano
    12 years ago

Oh and any chance to get a picture of the shower with the chair rail running thru? I am debating on doing that. Is your subway tile white or cream? I can't tell because of the lighting!

Will kids be using this bath? I am starting to rethink the marble floor! Ugg these decisions are killing me!!

Thanks!

• positano
    12 years ago

And what is the height of your chair rail? And how tall is your vanity with the top on it?

I just love it and keep coming back to your pictures. My vanity is going to be sherwin williams amazing gray, so the look will be similar.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, Positano, I did MOST of my homework!! (-:

Vanity is 36" high. 37" with top. Cabinet color is BM Sag Harbor Gray, which is obviously very green. The walls are the lightest possible green without being white--BM "Old Prairie." Top of wainscot is at 52".

The other bathroom with marble gets heavily used by two teenage boys. I considered the Tile Shop 2" hex, but the black dot gives even more "camouflage" so I went with that. This is our daily use bath, and I shed lots of long hair. My previous plain white tile had to be swiffered every single day. I wouldn't worry about the kids. We sealed with Miracle 511 and the grout has a built-in sealer. Boy-pee around the toilet should never be an issue.

The Tile Shop grouts were all wrong with the tiles. I used two different Tec Brand colors, which was my tiler's preferred brand. On the (true white-white) subways, we used "Dove Gray." The floor was slightly darker. Maybe DeLorean Gray? The floor tile is Hampton Carrera.

I can't wait to see YOUR pictures!!!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love the way you combines the variety of tile and mixed marbles and the subway tiles. Thanks for sharing.

• positano
    12 years ago

Yay! I love you shanghaimom!Thank you so much for all that info. I am very demanding aren't I. DH wanted to put white octagon and dot in the floor, but I think upkeep will be worse. I have dark hair and it is always everywhere.

love the paint colors and I think the grout colors are perfect. Chair rail thru the shower is gorgeous!

I will post pictures once it's done and I make my decision on the floor!

Thank You!!

• positano
    12 years ago

Hi again,
    One more question. Did you use delorean gray on your hex in the shower niche? Still deciding on grout colors. Have to make a decision by monday!

I am going back and forth with mist or dg for hex floor. And debating silverado or white for the subways!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Positano,

I used the Dove Gray on the shower niche tile. Good luck! I thing any/all of your choices will look fine!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

*think*

• positano
    12 years ago

thanks again! I had extra honed marble hex that I wanted to use for the back of my niche and my tile guy advised against it. I was kind of bummed!
    It is on the same end as the shower head, so he thought it would see a lot of moisture.
    It's not a huge deal since you can't see the niche from the main area of the bathroom.

• JoAnne Nyitrai
    11 years ago

Hello shanghaimom! Love your bath and am also buying from the tile shop pretty much same items as yourself. I am wondering what you used for the crown molding at ceiling. Looks like your tile did not go all the way to ceiling.. in the tub area..which I am thinking about doing. but I am wondering how to incorporate molding at the top to go all around the room. Was wondering if you used pvc molding. Thanks, JoAnne

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I just love everything about your peaceful and beautiful bathroom. It is going in my inspiration folder. Thank you for sharing and giving the details.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi JoAnne,

Yes, you're correct, the tile doesn't go all the way up. We used bullnose on the top row. The ceilings are high, so the tile is still over 7 feet--plenty.

The ceiling molding is plain old painted wood.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!!(-8

• southerngalinnyc
    11 years ago

Love this! So classic, thanks for sharing!

• JoAnne Nyitrai
    11 years ago

Hello again Shanghaimom!

Getting all my supplies ready for my redo. My question is about the sealer Miracle 511. Did you seal the basketweave before installing on thinset .....on the thinset but before grout? I'm assuming not after grout since using a grout that does not get sealed.. Thanks for all your help!

• Joga
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi JoAnne,

It was sealed with the Miracle 511 after both installation and grout.

They also put in some sort of liquid additive to the grout which enhanced the waterproofing aspect. It was TEC brand grout. This tiler said he will not use anything else. We have had good and bad tilers in the past, and this guy was by far the most meticulous I have ever worked with.

Also used Miracle 511 on my Calcutta marble hex-cut backsplash tile in the kitchen. (After install and grout.) No issues in either area with darkening of the edges.

• JoAnne Nyitrai
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply....was worried about grout staining...I bought the same floor and subway about same time you 1st posted this thread. I decided on that chair rail after saw your pictures. Thanks again for showing us your remodel. JoAnne

• threeapples
    11 years ago

wow, that is a beautiful, classic-looking bathroom.

• MPL1973
    11 years ago

Beautiful bathroom! Can you please tell me the size, color and any other information about the wall tile? Thank you.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MPL, the wall tile is Imperial Bianco gloss 3x6 subway tile. It is 5.97 sf at the Tile Shop.

• MPL1973
    11 years ago

Thank you for the information. You did a beautiful job in your room. I'm hoping to use some of your tile choices in my room. Thanks so much for sharing.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Wow love everything about this bathroom! Into my inspiration file it goes. Love your mix of classic tiles and the close up of your niche is very helpful as is seeing your tile "baseboard".

A few more Q's if you don't mind...

Like your square towel bar and accessories. Can you please give me the source and style info for those?

Your sink and shower bath fixtures are the same suite?

Design advice pleae... I'd love something similiar in one of our bathrooms that has a seperate tub and shower. If you had a seperate shower would you have carried the basketweave floor into the shower floor and if not what would you have used?
    What do you use to clean the basketweave floor?

Love green and I love you cabs. What type of paint was used and did you paint them yourselves? I've been thinking I would add a little color accent with a narrow band of tile, but now I'm thinking painted vanity!

Thanks for sharing.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Also can you please tellme about your light fixtures? Love them too! Thanks.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Island!

The light fixtures are from Bellacor-"Morocco" drum pendant in chrome and sconces are

The green paint is BM Sag Harbor Gray. (I didn't paint.)

The shower fixtures are Kohler Memoirs, and the sink are Pfister Carnegie from Ferguson's.

Yes, I would do the basketweave on a shower floor. It doesn't show any dirt and it very slip-resistant. I clean everything with Watkin's Natural Lemon spray cleaner.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops. The sconces are...not trying to keep you in suspense! Got deleted somehow. "Madison One-light Wall Light" in polished nickel.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

How about the towel bars or is that what you plan to keep me in suspense about? :>)

Those lights are great!!! The original photos with lights on don't do them justice. Thanks for posting the catalog photos so we could see the detail. I love the ribbed glass on the sconces and the metal cage of the pendant!! Thanks.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, right-the towel bars, robe hook, TP holder etc are all from the Carnegie collection. I think it might be exclusive to Ferguson's?

Now you can sleep....

• aiallega
    11 years ago

shanghai,
    I hope you don't mind that I'm going to shamelessly copy your beautiful bathroom when I remodel mine.
    Amy

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amy, I hope you'll post photos, then!! Copy away--I certainly did! (Isn't that why we love GW?)
    ~Another Amy

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thanks for the towel bar scoop Shanghi, No wonder all the metal pieces work so well together. I too just want to copy this bath! So classic and beautiful; one I'd never tire of! thanks for sharing.