Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkfinor

Elongated vs. Round Toilets

dkfinor
16 years ago

What is the measurement difference? I assume a "round" toilet is necessarily a "circle" shape (Sorry, I'm new to this research).

Comments (9)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Not completely round, just less elongated. We have one, and front to back, it's about 3" shorter than the elongated toilets. But that's just the two we have - your milage may vary.

I hear most men have a fairly strong preference for elongated bowls.

• lazypup
    16 years ago

By code we may use either one in residential applications however we are required to install elongated bowls with open front toilet seats in any public access facility.

The intended purpose of the elongated bowl is for health concerns. By elongating the bowl and installing an open front toilet seat it reduces the potential of genitalia, feminine hygiene products or soiled toilet tissue from touching the front of the toilet seat.

• budge1
    16 years ago

We have both and had the round installed 1st. I thought the round was great until we got the elongated. The elongated is in the main bath and we use it the most. Now when I use the round it feels quite small and not quite right. I think it is probably a personal preference thing. The two bathrooms that we have the round ones in are so tiny that we couldn't do the elongated or the doors wouldn't close.

• garboplex
    16 years ago

Most of my retrofits have been 6 Liter elongated units. If you look at the MAP tests, the elongated versions of some of the toilets rate much better than the round in flushing power. Once you get used to the elongated, I think you'll prefer it.

Here is a link that might be useful: MaPs Tests

• shannonplus2
    16 years ago

Dkfinor - don't know what is the measurement difference; I suppose on each manufacturer's toilets it's going to be different, so I'd advise you to go to the websites of the toilets you are interested in, and check the specs. Having said that, I will attest that the men/boys in your family will prefer the elongated. To be blunt, and sorry about that, their "parts" won't touch the front when they sit in an elongated the way they would in a round seat. Also, my DH claims it's easier to "aim", but I dunno about that - seems the aim is off-again-on-again regardless of toilet shape, but that maybe is just him LOL!

Although you didn't ask, we like our Toto toilets with the "GMax flushing system". They replaced very noisy low-flow circa-1990 toilets, and it's a huge improvement. Noise-wise, our old toilets were so loud that we had a "don't-flush-during-the-night" rule in our house. With our Toto's, we can now flush during the night and not wake up the whole house. I know that's More Information than you asked for, but I guess I am happy with these Toto's, and wanted to mention it.

• sean_m
    16 years ago

budge1: Depends on the elongated toilet you're installing. At my new place, I have terribly tiny bathrooms. My friends in NYC have larger bathrooms in their apartments. The door would come within 1" of the bowl of the American Standard round toilet.

Did some research and found the Toto Aquia toilets are elongated but actually shorter in length from the wall than the AS round toilets they would replace. I couldn't be happier since putting them in -- have given away my plunger and toilet auger, both which I had ended up using 1-2 times a week with the new American Standard 1.5 gallon toilets that came with the place.

• kevin1727
    16 years ago

Round toilets are a circle. Elongated toilets are an egg shape. The elongated is longer overall but there is not a specific length. There are compact elongated toilets that don't take up as much space. You have to check each manufacturer.

• alexamd
    16 years ago

There was a thread a while back that had me laughing pretty good that discussed the merits of round vs elongated...in case you are interested...

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Thread about Toilets