Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northlut

Tile shower leak in corner

Northlut
10 years ago

This makes me so sad... We bought our house about 1.5 years ago, and one of the big selling points for us was the beautifully remodeled master bath (done maybe 4-5 years prior). It has a large tile shower with a hand shower and a regular shower head. Unfortunately, we've just discovered a long term leak that has slowly let a fair amount of moisture into the wall.

The leak is in the back corner of the shower, where the two, walls meet (no glass or anything on that side). Basically it appears that sometimes the hand shower ends up pointed Into that corner while it's on, about 5 feet up the wall, and somehow a bit of that water is getting through and into the wall. There's an obvious crack in the grout, but my understanding is that water still shouldn't be able to actually get into the wall. So I'm not sure what has gone wrong.

What would cause this? Is this something that's likely to be fixable by just taking out the tile in the corner, or are we looking at redoing the whole shower? Any advice on finding a skilled and reputable person to investigate this (we already asked our neighbors and they only could recommend plumbers or handymen, which doesn't seem like what we need).

Comments (3)