Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installation of Mosaic Behind Vanity

Posted by dandkmom (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 19:37

Getting ready for DIY remodel of bathroom and planning to install glass/stone mosaic behind the vanity. My hubby wants to tile the wall before installation of the vanity and wants to go below the height of the vanity and then caulk. I've never seen this done. Does this make sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installation of Mosaic Behind Vanity

the vanity would need to be shimmed against the wall the thickness of the tile to be secured against the wall.. If the vanity does not fit between two walls you will have a gap between the wall and the cabinet.

o
RE: Installation of Mosaic Behind Vanity

I just did it a week ago.

Photobucket

That said, I talked the developer out of doing it again. The reason being that the plumbing sets usually used in higher end homes have very little coverage from the escucheons (cover plates) that cap the holes where the valve handles and spicket come thru the wall. In this case, I had 1/8". With a solid piece of tile (as opposed to mosaics), I can use a diamond holesaw, and make the perfect hole, and no issues with being covered. With the mosaics, first the hole in the wall board has to be perfect (I had to have the contractor cut out pieces and redo HIS holes), and then, each pittle piece of mosaic (in this case, 1/2" x1/2") has to be GROUND down (not cut) to size. Even then, it's is crap shoot as to whether or not it'll cover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here