Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

mongo or bill, tub surround tile question...

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

Hi guys,

We're *just now* getting to the point of actually putting up the Wedi and tiling DD's bath. It's taken me more time than I had thought (because of waiting for weather to cut tile on the back deck without ending up frozen) to get the mosaic part together, but I'm SO close, just have about 5" to go...I'm thinking we start this weekend!

anyway, my question: right at the place where the surround meets the alcove tub flange--mongo, you drew two different ways to have backerboard/tile meet the flange:

1) brings the backerboard down to the horizontal tub deck (change of plane caulked, of course) with furring strips compensating for the different depth (DH asked whether the furring strips go all the way up the wall or if they kind of fade back to flat at some point)

2) keeps the backerboard up at the top edge of the tub flange and *tile* only is brought down, sealed behind and caulked at change of plane.

Which one would you guys think is best? This is for DD's bath, and I'm using 12x24 tile set horizontally, with Wedi behind. I've got plenty of sealant, so I could seal the heck out of the gap if 2 is the best.

I thought of a third, which might or might not work: rout out the back bottom edge of the Wedi and have the front face of it meet the horizontal deck, but have it cut back behind so it sits flush on the studs without any furring. There wouldn't be much behind the face, and I don't know if there's anything gained by it, other than not furring out the entire wall.

Thanks very much for any insight/advice you can offer. I'll be SO glad to get this done, finally--just want to make it as kid-proof as possible.

Comments (30)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Either one will work. If you use the firring strips, go all the way up. My preference, though, is to bring the CBU down to the top of the flange, back fill it with stiff thinset, and then tile over it.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Fly, haven't cyber-seen you in a while, how's my favorite left-coaster?

On this detail I agree with Bill.

When I like to furr and bring the backer board down over the flange to just off the tub deck is when I have small mosaic tiles and I want the small tiles to be fully supported by the backer board.

Your 12" by 24" tiles can easily handle a little bit of hang time.

If you used tapered furring strips you'd have a bit of fun cutting each inside corner piece of tile on a slight angle.

The anguish, the pain...the horror!

These were from the Kerdi thread, but they give the basic idea:

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both so much! If you agree, then I know that's definitely the way to do it and will proceed with confidence. Yep, mongo, those are the pictures I saved. Was wondering which one to apply in this situation--the consideration of size of tile makes perfect sense.

And thanks for the inquiry about life out here, mongo. Man, I have only one child, but homeschooling, as you know, often involves *not* being home. I'm so busy just organizing her life and driving her around! I've also started volunteering in the field I used to work in professionally but quit back in 1998 because of DD's needs in infancy (and then onwards)--it's great to get back in the saddle. The plan is that she'll go to a HS for the last 4 years before college (only one more year 'at home'--gulp!) and I'll get back to work after easing back in this way.

This mosaic project has also been really enjoyable. I'm just finishing up 31 linear feet of 9-3/4" mosaic 'decor strip' of Pratt & Larson seconds (I've wanted to use those ever since we moved here :)) that will go all the way around DD's bathroom, be the backsplash between her sink and cabinet, then go through the tub surround and out the back around the back wall. DD's been doing a 2-7/8" strip that will go vertically into the tub surround as well. Here's a pic of *somewhat* what it looks like--many of the tiles are opalescent/pearlescent so you can't really get the full effect. A bit busy but it should even out with grout, and the rest of the bath is the 12x24. And it does indulge my penchant for dishwasher-arranging in a big way :)

Is everyone graduated HS and out of your house now? What have you been doing? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's fascinating and I'd love to hear whatever you want to share about it.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Flyleft, shoot me an email so we can play catch-up.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mongo, I've switched computers and carriers since I had your e-mail address--I can't find it!

And if you're feeling pained by that photo, I can assure you that there is no pink in the big tiles or in the P&L pieces either :) I just couldn't take pics well inside but I should try to take some in daylight to reveal their true colors.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

You can click on "mongoct" then use the email link, or just send it to:

mongospecs at comcast dot net

Same with me not having your addy anymore. I swapped over to a new mac and never imported any of my old stuff. It's like going into the witness protection program...it's a fresh start!

And yeah, I wanted to comment on that deco strip. That's one heck of a mosaic, 30+ feet? Wow. Nope, I didn't even think pink.

Did you do that on Wedi or is it only on the contact film?

What are the ones held down by the blue painters tape? Are those going to be swapped out for the ones underneath? Or are they at a seam? Tough to tell with my thinset-obscured vision.

Definitely show me photos when it's done. Have you considered doing a wedi "how to" thread showing progress photos?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I can assure you that there is no pink in the big tiles or in the P&L pieces either

Yeah, it's just a reflection off the toes! :-)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha, Bill..I just saw your analysis of the color situation--yes, let's hope there's some pink in those toes, at least!

So I have a followup question based on what one tile guy said (I am considering having pity on myself and hiring out the floor, since my back and knees are being stubborn these days) about taking the backerboard to the top of the flange rather than the bottom: he was concerned about what would go between the overhanging tile and the flange, in that the Wedi sealant might not maintain a tight grip to the acrylic. He's built curved structures with Wedi before, so he knows about working with it. Bill, I know you said you'd stuff thinset up there--I'd have to put some sealant at the flange-board-end juncture, but then have you experienced any issues with thinset developing micro-cracks or anything between overhanging tile and the flange? I'd caulk at the change of plane, of course...TIA again for your thoughts on the durability of sealant connection to the flange top, and the thinset integrity between the flange and the back of the tile.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Of course it'll develop some cracks as it dries (and shrinks). So long as it stays solid enough to back the tile up, so the bottom of the tile can't get broken off-- that's ALL it's there for. You're over thinking this. The flange is what will keep water from getting out past the tub, not the thinset.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, o.k., Bill. Actually I wasn't overthinking it until the tile guy brought it up, just so you know :) I trust you both implicitly (and now evidently explicitly as well :))

And mongo, I missed your questions--the mosaic is just a burst of exuberance and love for mosaic and our local tilemakers :) --something I've wanted to do ever since I discovered Pratt & Larson. It will be the only standout decor item in the room--guess it will make it one of those "hmmm..." mosaic bathrooms with 'character' rather than an AD spread :). Although when I look at it, I find myself almost feeling an audible rhythm, and a rising and falling melodic line, as I look at the progression of tiles in relation to each other. Synaesthesia: weird but fun :)

There's thin somewhat sticky backing on the tiles, then the thicker but still clear mosaic mount on the front. The ones with blue tape probably needed to be cut a bit more or reshaped or something--I was using the bluetape as asterisks to remind me that I wanted to do something with that particular tile.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    14 years ago

That is one gorgeous mosaic! Do I understand correctly that you created this yourself? If yes, I'd love to hear how, if no, where can I find it!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O.K., Mom, how'd you get online? :)

How nice to read your post. Yes, I've created it myself with the every-so-often assistance of my daughter--there will be a tile toward the back of the room with our names on it :).

I got Pratt & Larson seconds (P&L is based in my town, Portland, OR) and tried to keep *some* semblance of discipline, although my daughter wanted to include more dark tones so it's got more dark in it than I would have wanted...but I just started putting them down on carpet-protector plastic turned sticky-side up, taped over a thick cardboard piece with the dimensions of the panel and some plumb lines drawn on it, and went to town. Dr. Who episodes helped a lot :)

If you have a local tilemaker, they usually have seconds (e.g. Heath tile in Sausalito is another one--I've got cartons full of seconds from them, too, but I wanted to use local tile here) and you can get them at a wonderful price. Have to watch out for the really wonky ones, maybe saw off crooked lines or decide to embrace them, and make whatever you want! WAY less expensive than the tile in the front of the store :). The tiles I was using ranged from about $40/sf to maybe $150/sf? Many contented sighs :)

NOW, though, I have to mount these panels and my mosaicist friends have told me to cut each panel to be no more than 1' at a time (they're each about 25" long at this point).

OH, and mongo or bill--what's a good inexpensive yet dependable laser to shoot horizontal lines around the room? Or should I just rent one from HD? Does Harbor Freight (one of my guilty pleasure stores :)) make one I can trust?

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks, FL. It is seriously fabulous. I love the look, and may well try and recreate that when I finally get to my bathroom -- I hope this summer depending on how the necessary pre-work goes (is that rotten wood under there?). I don't know of any tile manufacturers here in Maine but I will look. If you have any, I'd love to see more photos and of course lots as you get it in place the lucky bath that will house it!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

If you go to Home Depot, Johnson has one out that you have to level yourself, but I've bee using it for about 3 years now, and in spite of the fact that it's WAY cheaper than any other laer I've seen, it's still dead on, for about 80.00. Comes with a tripod that will extend up to about 4 feet.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Bill--I'll go pick it up today. Much appreciated.

And mabel, if I may call you that :), you use a phrase that I use that I don't hear many people use--"seriously fabulous'; we *must* be aesethetically sympathetic! Sorry to hear about the possible wood rot, but at least you know that when you're done, you'll have a healthy, honest house. We've made this house honest in any number of ways over the past 5 years now.

I'm not coming up with any tilemakers in Maine off the top of my head, but I sure can think of a good tile *installer*... ;)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to follow up, but I was checking the HD website and didn't find anything by Johnson--maybe they've stopped carrying it. Would you mind looking at this website real fast and seeing which model it is you work with? Also SORRY for the irritating audio intro!

Here is a link that might be useful: hey, he's named Bill too!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, believe me, I have someone on my radar screen (hi Bill!)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Here it is, Fly.... link's below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my John...... er... rotary laser. :-)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Mabel-- whenever you're ready. :-) How close are you to Portland? I could hook you up with a couple of different custom tile stores, if you're interested. (I'm not talking Daltile and American Olean) It sounded like you were looking for something handmade, or along those lines. I DO know of one tilemaker in Warren-- atleast they WERE there about 12-13 years ago when I used their tile on Deer Isle. But I'm sure one of the places I'm thinking of could direct you, no matter what you may be looking for. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah man...I wrote something and have erased it...WAY too many ways to go with this one..horizontal, vertical, manual, battery-operated...but seriously, I found it on Amazon, so thanks :)

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

fly, did you buy a laser?

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey mongo,

Well not quite yet--I'd just a few minutes ago convinced my DH to buy the one Bill's recommending rather than go to Harbor Freight (I know, I know...but it's like a cheap toy store)--he had just agreed--why do you ask?

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

Flyleft-
    just saw the mosaic above--- oh that is totally awesome!!!

I have been dying to do some kind of mosaic on something somewhere, was thinking of doing a table, for years...
    Where did you get the assortment of tiles? How do you go about finding batches like that??

Cannot WAIT to see it up!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, pepperidge farm :) Sounds like you have the response I always used to have when I saw mosaics before I started doing them...if you get started you won't stop, I'll warn you :)

In this case, I got the tiles as seconds at Pratt & Larson (see above post), and then have just been playing 'organize-the-dishwasher' (as my family likes to call it--I'm a bit obsessive about that too :)) until I like what I see. Most of them have some degree of sparkle to them, opalescence, and I didn't use any crackle. I have three long pencil tiles going through each 25" span to keep some sense of direction--now that I see it I'm wondering if I should have put in more...not too late, actually, and I have some more...hmmm, it's not finished until they take it away from you, right? :)

So mongo, I am waiting to order until I hear what your thoughts are--would you share? Or were you just curious whether I'd bought one yet? You know I will wait for your thoughts on any issue, so TIA as always :)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mongo, you're toying with me...I'm trying to be patient but I do need that level...is there one you'd recommend instead? Have a lead to a better price? Or what is it?!

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh well, mongo, don't know what happened to you; hope you're o.k...I'm going to go ahead and order Bill's Johns---...that laser level he recommended :)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Seems everyone who's seen my....um..... laser, likes it. :-)

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cute :)

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

My apologies for leaving you hanging. I flew back out to CO yesterday, I actually logged on here a couple of times but never saw this thread.

I have a spare laser, a very nice PLS that I was going to ship your way. As it now stands I might be stuck out here for a while so yeah, it'd be best to grab one for yourself.

If you grab Bill's be careful. You could shoot your eye out!

You naughty kids you.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, what a tease you are :) I appreciate the thought, though. Have fun in CO!