Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjpollock_gw

Help! Poor tile work in bathroom

kjpollock
11 years ago

I am remodeling my 1906 house and have been generally very pleased with my contractor. However, I am not happy with the tile work in the bathrooms.

I spent hours reading posts on this forum and Houzz and decided on Daltile unglazed ceramic hex on the floors. We are doing different patterns with the mosaic in different bathrooms--daisies, dots, a square border on the edges, etc. Not super easy but not crazy difficult for an experienced tile layer.

However, the tile work looks terrible. There are wide gaps between some tiles and no gap between others. Where the white hex is popped out and the black hex dot is inserted, it's not straight. The hex tile had to be cut in half so that a square border could be put up against it and the cut tiles are severely chipped (not clean cuts).

I will admit to being a perfectionist so I'm really struggling with trying to decide if this all needs to be redone by another professional or if this is good quality work and my expectations are just too high.

I've talked with my contractor and they have tried to fix some of it, but even the fixes don't look that great. I don't have pictures to post right now but might try to get some later.

Please advise. Thanks!

Comments (2)