Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Poor tile work in bathroom

Posted by kjpollock (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 18:38

I am remodeling my 1906 house and have been generally very pleased with my contractor. However, I am not happy with the tile work in the bathrooms.

I spent hours reading posts on this forum and Houzz and decided on Daltile unglazed ceramic hex on the floors. We are doing different patterns with the mosaic in different bathrooms--daisies, dots, a square border on the edges, etc. Not super easy but not crazy difficult for an experienced tile layer.

However, the tile work looks terrible. There are wide gaps between some tiles and no gap between others. Where the white hex is popped out and the black hex dot is inserted, it's not straight. The hex tile had to be cut in half so that a square border could be put up against it and the cut tiles are severely chipped (not clean cuts).

I will admit to being a perfectionist so I'm really struggling with trying to decide if this all needs to be redone by another professional or if this is good quality work and my expectations are just too high.

I've talked with my contractor and they have tried to fix some of it, but even the fixes don't look that great. I don't have pictures to post right now but might try to get some later.

Please advise. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Poor tile work in bathroom

If you are looking for opinions on the work I would definitely suggest posting pics.
Sorry you're not happy with your bathrooms. It is so disappointing when that happens.

o
RE: Help! Poor tile work in bathroom

Being a perfectionist, it's hard to know sometimes when a problem is within normal limits & my standards are unreasonable or if my issue is a valid one. Unfortunately my husband usually seem to think it's me. With my almost done bathroom I was in and out of the bathroom when the tile setter was working and kind of was a pain for him yet I still feel that he screwed up some.

That being said, If the space between tiles is not consistent I would think it's his problem not yours. If you post pictures you'll get a better opinion on whether the issue is within normal limits or not.

I hope you are able to resolve the issues to your satisfaction so you can enjoy the finished product completely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here