Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottom theshold for frameless shower?

Posted by lynneblack (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 18:34

Our GC suggested that we get a thin chrome bottom threshold installed at the bottom of our shower to keep water from accumulating on the curb. The curb is sloped, but he said that even with that he is concerned about standing water, over time, damaging the quartzite tile. He said the water here has alot of calcium oxide which doesn't play well with natural stone.
To me, the idea of a bottom threshold doesn't = a frameless shower, but wanted to get some opinions on here before I tell him my decision. Do any of you have one of these with your frameless shower? Do you wish you hadn't gotten it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottom theshold for frameless shower?

I think that I have what you are talking about. We could not prevent water leaking out from under the door until we had this threshold put in. Like you, I did not like the idea, but it solved the problem, and it completely disappears when the door is closed. It was simple to add so you could try without it and add it later if necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Threshold

o

thanks for the reply, he said if we do it now he will get a real narrow custom made one installed at the same time as the door. I will probably go for it after hearing that it doesn't show with the door closed.

o

They come in various finishes. I got brushed nickel because that is what my fixtures are. However, if I had gotten ORB it probably would be less noticeable given the color of my granite curb. Something to think about.

Also, they are very inexpensive. We paid $25 for the threshold including installation, and we used a different company than the one that installed the entire shower enclosure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Threshold - Door Closed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here